Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas tank switch-over reminders?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gas tank switch-over reminders?

Some of you must use some kind of timer or mini alarm to remember when to switch gas tanks. Favorites? Pictures? I have only the original windup clock on my panel and would prefer something better than just my memory. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gas tank switch-over reminders?

Engine sputtering seems to do it for me

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I keep an eye on my wristwatch and I swap on even numbers, like the top and bottom of the hour.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of these velcroed to the panel, not cool but works...
    61-yiCAVB0L._SL1496_.jpg
    Donn
    1949 Clipper PA-16 O-235

Post Thanks / Like

I have a digital clock with trip timer and stop watch function mounted within my field of view in my instrument scann. The trip timer starts automatically when the avionics master switch is turned on. I use the stop watch to monitor fuel out of each tank. I have four wing tanks with a total of 58 gallon to monitor. No audio warning though, just visual monitoring.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Aileron control. Just run one down, as the fuel goes down, the other wing gets heavy, the heavier it gets, the more it reminds you to switch before the sputter! Other than that, entering the pattern, switch to fullest tank (unless that’s the right and it’s below 1/3). Of course if that were the case that was poor fuel management.

If tanks are full, I usually run the right one out, then switch to the left. If I’m working in the pattern, right to 1/3, then switch to the left. In the Clipper, run the wing out, then switch to the nose.

No need for timing with fuel management. The more you rotate that fuel valve, the sooner you will need to replace it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would be very careful about the 1/3 rule. I lost power momentarily on climb out with a little less than 1/2 a tank

Post Thanks / Like

If you use an iPad with WingX or FlyQ EFB, they have timer options you can choose. I generally use those when I'm on longer trips.

Post Thanks / Like

Avare has a timer function built into it that I use on an XC. Otherwise, the top/bottom of the hour method.

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    Engine sputtering seems to do it for me
    I just recently ran the right tank dry on purpose during an XC. I had never done that before. I was watching it very closely and knew it was ready to go any minute. Took longer than expected and even with all that, there's a split second but the switch & restart happened nearly instantly. I was knowingly stretching my fuel and I really wanted to know that I had used 100% of that tank. Normally I don't do that. Still landed with plenty in the left tank but definitely knew I had gone as far as possible with the right side.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

My gtx-327 transponder has a flight timer display option that I use to keep track of changing fuel tanks every 30 min.

My girlfriend caught on that I watch that timer for 30 min intervals so now she always tries to beat me to realizing it's switch-over time. So, on most of my flights my tank-switch reminder is actually her telling me it's time!