Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Wear

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Tire Wear

I bought these Goodyear Aircraft Rib 8.5x6 tires used. I have had them on a year now and I just wanted to ask how much more use I have left in them . Not bad wear but a couple of spots where its thinner. new to planes I have no Idea what life is left

IMG_8975.JPGIMG_8976.JPG

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tire Wear

I run them till cords start to show. Look at how many plys they are, probably 4 or 6 sets of cords.

Post Thanks / Like

Rotate them and go until your first cord shows or send them in for recaps now.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

You can go to the Goodyear site and get their book on tire maintenance. Basic rule of thumb for light aircraft tires - as long as no chord shows, they are airworthy. Once chord shows, they are no longer eligible to be recapped. Recapped tires last about twice what new ones do and generally cost less than new. Desser and Wilkerson do recaps, there may be others, but I’ve used both of these vendors with good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

This my be a dumb question, but I've rented airplanes from flight schools that had an in house maintenance staff and never really came across tires that were worn, cracked, etc. What do you all think about my tire? There is a slice on the sidewall, but there doesn't appear to be any of the casing showing. Is this still usable or would you replace it?

20200122_081606.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I'd definitely keep an eye on that. If you enlarge the pic, you can see what looks like several same-shape scratches emanating from the deep one you've circled, and in a line toward 2 o'clock... looks like that tire was definitely pushed up against something (repeatedly), and that cut looks to be fairly deep. Or maybe...was that tire ever left to go completely flat while the plane was parked?

It also appears that there's already a slight bulge/bubble in the rubber at that "cut" -- or maybe it's just the camera?

No, I'm not an A&P, but I've spent a lot of time with tires.

A flat on landing could definitely ruin your day!

PS: NOT a dumb question.
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 01-22-2020 at 12:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    Wow, I'd definitely keep an eye on that. If you enlarge the pic, you can see what looks like several same-shape scratches emanating from the deep one you've circled, and in a line toward 2 o'clock... looks like that tire was definitely pushed up against something (repeatedly), and that cut looks to be fairly deep. Was that tire ever left to go completely flat while the plane was parked?

A flat on landing could definitely ruin your day!

PS: NOT a dumb question.
    I'm not sure, I just bought the bird a few months ago. Had to repair one of the wheel pants and noticed it after removing it. I bought a new tire and tube anyway, but wanted to get some thoughts from the pros here. Thanks for your input!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Replace it! Ask yourself what a ground loop costs to fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The structural part of the tire is the casing/cords. Can you see them through the cut? Is it bulging?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    The structural part of the tire is the casing/cords. Can you see them through the cut? Is it bulging?
    I'd have to double check when I go out there, but I don't recall seeing the casing/cords at all through the cut.