Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Repairs for oversize holes? Other ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Repairs for oversize holes? Other ideas?

I have not seen the groove. Usually can't get the safety wire that tight but could use brass safety wire as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pralle View Post
    FYI I have seen the safety wire “repair” many times and seen it wear a groove in the liner. Not something I want happening on a critical flight control attachment. ... Steve you are absolutely correct removing the paint and especially heavy powder coat is a must. If I am installing the stabs alone I use a ratchet strap hooked around the end of each stab and gently pull both stabs together after I drill and bolt the first side. Assuring a close fit. ...
    I'm not sure I'm following this, are we talking about sliding the stabilizers on fully so that the inner ends are in contact with the outer ends of the fuselage tube (rear) and the yoke tube (front)?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. The stabilizer “link” The part that is mounted in the fuselage has the liner tube going through the center. Then the stabilizers are installed on the liner tube and bolted to the liner tube. It is necessary to make sure the stabilizers are pulled in tight to the stabilizer link upon install before everything is drilled and bolted. Leaving any play between the stabilizers and the link is a large contributing factor to airplanes that shake when they are put into a slip or at very high pitch angles with high power settings especially with long props. It is easy enough to verify by mounting a camera looking at the tail in flight. A very simple install procedure that is often overlooked.