Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Cracked recommendations & interior cable reroute.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Exhaust Cracked recommendations & interior cable reroute.

New owner to a very nice PA22 that had a cracked muffler. Options are dahleyaviation to repair which is really rebuild, take a part off my old one attach it and call it a repair. aircraftexhaust.com has it in stock for $525, univair $1700. Is there any other reasonable ways to approach this? This has a recurring AD so don't know if this will reset the clock if I replace with new but feel like it should. The repair will not.

Additionally the new cables someone put into the aircraft for throttle, mixture and carb heat are all wrong they didn't route over the top of the interior fuel line so they hit when you pull back the yoke. I'm guessing that's going to be a real pain to fix as they all have to get pulled back in and then dropped over the top. Any suggestions on best tactics? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Exhaust Cracked recommendations & interior cable reroute.

Quote Originally Posted by gdubya569 View Post
    New owner to a very nice PA22 that had a cracked muffler. Options are dahleyaviation to repair which is really rebuild, take a part off my old one attach it and call it a repair. aircraftexhaust.com has it in stock for $525, univair $1700. Is there any other reasonable ways to approach this? This has a recurring AD so don't know if this will reset the clock if I replace with new but feel like it should. The repair will not.

Additionally the new cables someone put into the aircraft for throttle, mixture and carb heat are all wrong they didn't route over the top of the interior fuel line so they hit when you pull back the yoke. I'm guessing that's going to be a real pain to fix as they all have to get pulled back in and then dropped over the top. Any suggestions on best tactics? Thanks
    The only way to reset the clock is with a New muffler, not a repaired muffler. With new, the inspection is every 100 hours until that muffler has 900 hours as I recall, then drops to every 50 hours. Figure how long you will keep the airplane, and the cost of the inspections to see which option is best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

On a quick side note, where do you all take your planes for this 50 hour inspection? Can I just take it to the repair shop at my home field, or do I need to find a local tri pacer familiar repair shop? How much do you all usually spend on this inspection?

Post Thanks / Like

I believe an A&P can do the check as them or an IA to do it. It's my understanding it's a pressure check for cracks and leaks. I pulled mine tonight and I'm pretty upset how bad it was CO2 could get you pretty quick. Look everything over have it checked.

Post Thanks / Like

I used Dawley Aviation. Yes, classed as a repair, but it was essentially a complete re-build. Very nice work, and it was around $350, IIRC. Since my A&P & I found hairline cracks in the ends and I assisted with the inspection... yeah, it's a PITA, but not that bad if you go carefully. I'll live with the AD (which I think is really a good idea anyway).

Also -- check the scat tube routing carefully; I found mine to be absolutely incorrect as far as the rear cabin heat & carb heat routings. (GRRRR!!!)

DSC07258.jpgDSC07256.jpg DSC07327.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Be sure to inspect your exhaust pipes when you do the muffler AD. There has been more than one fire caused by cracked exhaust pipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have always sent my old mufflers to Dawley and recieved a new unit in return with gussets and doublers in the places Piper should have put them including the bail to keep a broken flame tube from blocking the tail pipe which is what the AD was written for originally I believe. I would read the exhaust AD, there are some options on inspections and placarding.

I find misrouted engine push pull cables from time to time. They are a pain to remove and reroute but worth it in the long run.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, pga-- I think the downpipe (exhaust pipe) was the only thing that was in great shape, other than the header pipes.

On another note, my two-piece, gold-plated Univair official Piper-style elbow heat muff is now installed!

Shore is purty!

DSC08214.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    Thanks, pga-- I think the downpipe (exhaust pipe) was the only thing that was in great shape, other than the header pipes.

On another note, my two-piece, gold-plated Univair official Piper-style elbow heat muff is now installed!

Shore is purty!

DSC08214.jpg
    WOW...that really is purdy.

In another thread (door support rod) I saw a picture of Ms Pearl with that cuff painted as a real show piece. Seeing what mine looks like -pretty ugly- I thought who would do that. However, after seeing your brand new spiffy one, I could see how that came to be.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    WOW...that really is purdy.

In another thread (door support rod) I saw a picture of Ms Pearl with that cuff painted as a real show piece. Seeing what mine looks like -pretty ugly- I thought who would do that. However, after seeing your brand new spiffy one, I could see how that came to be.
    Nice looking shield. I like things to look clean for sure and wondered are the header pipes worth polishing? Would be a lot of work but sure look nice if they don't blue. I'm guessing probably not worth the effort but the thought crossed my mind.

Based on what Steve shared I think I'll just go dawley. I was trying to determine if the cost of two inspections for the "repaired" versus the additional $200 for new and only having to have it checked every 100 hours would pay off but if dawley is beefing it up then prefer that. What is entailed in doing the inspection other than capping and pressurizing? I would assume this is a fairly quick inspection correct? Appreciate all of the input.

Since the muffler is out we pulled the cables back and having a huge challenge trying to route them around the metal fuel line inside. Do any of you have decent pics how yours are done? I realize that each installation is different but would like to see if the STC for the fuel line fix was routed in the typical spot. IMG_4686.JPG

Additionally what do you guys use for firewall paint? Mine is a metalic silver but the leak has flavored it not sure what would be best to touch it up. Thanks for all of the replies.
    Attached Images Attached Images