Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Cracked recommendations & interior cable reroute.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Exhaust Cracked recommendations & interior cable reroute.

I have done the same out of aluminum and thin stainless. Put in a brake and over bend it. Takes some practice pieces to get the length just right or make a top and bottom half that over lap each other and held together with hose clamps lie Atlee Dodge makes for Super Cubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you have lots of help already. In case you need more, Kitplanes just happens to have a new article on fabricating a muffler shroud: https://www.kitplanes.com/ye-olde-slip-roll/

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick note to add my voice to those who recommend Dawley for repairs. Found a crack in the rear crossover pipe at annual this year. My mechanic recommended Dawley and I remembered this thread, so mailed it off and within 2weeks had a piece that fit perfectly and was like new except for a support attachment ear. I’m back in the air and very happy with Dawley. Brian

Post Thanks / Like

From this thread I called Dawley on a # from their website this morning to inquire about "rebuilding" my muffler. The man answering the phone was at Aero Space Welding in Minnesota not Dawley in Wisconsin. Told me Dawley is no more. They have a PMA muffler no core required for $450 and it's "new". So ordered it.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    From this thread I called Dawley on a # from their website this morning to inquire about "rebuilding" my muffler. The man answering the phone was at Aero Space Welding in Minnesota not Dawley in Wisconsin. Told me Dawley is no more. They have a PMA muffler no core required for $450 and it's "new". So ordered it.
    I heard that about Dawley just recently.
    Not exhaust related, but I heard that Harrison (engine work) is also gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Harrison did my cylinder a short while ago. The A&P that overhauled my engine said he's used Harrison for over 20 years. Darrel was getting up there in age (as we all are)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

OK so Monday I called Dawley in WI and Aerospace Welding in Min answered. Shipped new PMA muffler same day for the cheapest price I could find. Received it today. Yes the third muffler in the pic is an extra I had and if I had to would have got me by for now but with this kind of service why not. Back on Sat. morning. Oh and yes oven cleaner and a scoth brite had makes the shroud look great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Ok three years since this post, just found the flame tube broken loose and covering the outlet. It seems Dawley is out of business so what is the current best choice for a new / overhaul muffler and current price you've seen.
    Bob Didisse, McCall, ID.

Post Thanks / Like

Also best way to remove tailpipe without destroying it. I suppose since the muffler is trash cutting off the outlet pipe is a way. Tried using Aerokroil and heat ahd not too much force and no luck yet, might be time to break out the die grinder.
    Bob Didisse, McCall, ID.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't think of the name at the moment, but I believe Dawley was absorbed by another welding company -- who are still in a similar business. Anybody remember who that is?