Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Clipper vs late 56-60 tri pacer fuslage tubing difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clipper vs late 56-60 tri pacer fuslage tubing difference.

Hello,
    Been reading here and finding great information, Thanks.
    My question is. The clipper fuselage tubing wall size or structure difference between a 1956 and later tri pacer. Was there any or much difference through the years that piper did to improve structural strength from a clipper as the years went on? My focus is Mainly on rear cabin area forward to firewall. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Clipper vs late 56-60 tri pacer fuslage tubing difference.

The best way to find out this information is to order the SWPC drawing CD. You will find all the original drawings for these planes.

Let us know what you are planning.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Biggest changes were the aft tube under the rear seat, Clipper was 5/8x.035, once they put individual rear seatbelts, that tube went to 1 1/8x.049. Later TriPacer had individual front seats, so quite a few structure changes there, as well as a seat belt anchor in the middle. Top of the cabin is different as the TriPacer has the humpback. Clipper has a diagonal tube between the spar carry through, and Pacer and TriPacer has a Vee. The front of the fuselage is different on the Clipper as it has the fuel tank up there. Landing gear shock absorber system is different, so the center truss is different.

All that said, most of the tubing sizes are the same. As Stephen said, get the CD and compare for yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

dgapilot thanks.
    If you had a clipper fuselage and a 56 and 59 tri-pacer fuselage to stretch into something else which one would you use ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountains View Post
    dgapilot thanks.
    If you had a clipper fuselage and a 56 and 59 tri-pacer fuselage to stretch into something else which one would you use ?
    If you have paper for either, I’d keep the one with paper as stock.

That said, what is the mission? Keep in mind that the Clipper is a 1650 gross airplane, and the PA-22-150 is a 2000 lb gross weight airplane. If your plan is to build something that will be 2000 lb gross or more, stick with the PA-22 fuselage. There is already plans for stretching the PA-22, and if you buy the STC, you could keep it Standard. For any project like this, I recommend that you work through the amateur built checklist if the plan is to go Experimental Amateur Built. I’ve had more than one applicant for an airworthiness certificate that couldn’t qualify as amateur built and they had to go exhibition. Plan the project based on the checklist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Clipper is significantly narrower than the late model PA22's. The plans for stretching, call for using the late model PA22's. They also approve a gw increase to 2100 lbs. Also, dgapilot makes good points to consider. What is your thinking about using a Clipper frame?
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information.