Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My next trip from Virginia to "out West"

Post Thanks / Like

Default My next trip from Virginia to "out West"

Last October was my first trip flying my Pacer from Winchester, VA to Utah, Nevada (High Sierra fly-in) and a one night stop at Lake Tahoe, CA. I had a blast and the whole trip is documented here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ASY5AjOOJAheTU.
    Now I'm hooked and I'm planning my next trip. In September my nephew from Germany (he is a glider instructor) will join me and we are planning to fly into Arizona and Utah for two weeks. Here are some questions to you locals and everyone who has visited there before:

1) Our first staging airport will be Page, AZ. I have read in a recent article that the "Rainbow Bridge" (a red rock arch) is about 50 Miles North of Page. Does anyone know the coordinates for it (or nearby landmarks) and can I land there with the Pacer? I will have my 22" Desser smooth "Baby Bush Wheels" on the Pacer.
    2) I would also like to look at Bryce Canyon. There is an airport close to it (KBCE). What is the best way to get from the airport to the Canyon for a tour and then back to the airport.
    3) After a couple of days operating out of Page, I am planning to fly South across the Grand Canyon to either camp or Motel Room at Grand Canyon Caverns (L37). Anyone has some recent experience staying at that airport either camping or using their Hotel/Motel facilities?

I'm sure I'll have some more questions before September. I have already picked some backcountry strips in Utah, we will fly over the Grand Canyon and most likely look at the Hoover Dam. While in that area we may fly into Henderson Exec so my Nephew can experience Las Vegas for two nights.

Any other suggestions for backcountry strips (especially in AZ) are welcome. Most likely I'll be at Sun & Fun Thursday through Sunday morning in April. I would love to talk to some of you locals or anyone who has flown this area of AZ before.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My next trip from Virginia to "out West"

Canít give any suggestions, but sounds like a fun trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Have only been to Rainbow Bridge but only by boat. Not sure where you can land but believe if you find a spot, it will be a long hike to rainbow bridge.

BCE is a good airport and there will be transporation that will come get you to take you to Bryce proper. Probably need to call and make tour arrangements ahead of time

A group of my friends have been down to L37 to tour the caverns and have the $100 hamburger. I assume camping would not be a problem but I'm sure you can find a number to call and get the real story.

A book is available that describes all the "back woods" Utah strips. I have an old copy and can't remember the title, but would order it to research, you might
    find some other neat places to fly into.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Juergen, since your nephew is a Glider Instructor, it might be of some interest to plan on at least a fuel stop, and perhaps layover at desert soaring meccas. Moriarty, NM comes to mind, and there are several in AZ, as well as the Minden/Reno area. Some L-O-N-G sailplane crosscountries in the west, usually landing back where they started. ssa.org has a directory of operations.

Thanks. cubscout

Post Thanks / Like

Andya, I am pretty familiar with the Utah backcountry airstrips. I know about the book and the Utah Backcountry Pilots Association's Web-Site (https://utahbackcountrypilots.org/) is a great resource for my trips. I also use the Arizona Pilot's Association's site (https://azpilots.org/), but I haven't found that much information about the Arizona backcountry strips yet. I also use the RAF (Recreational Aviation Foundation's site (https://theraf.org/).

I do have the Website of Grand Canyon Caverns (https://gccaverns.com/) and found their rates for camping ($40/Night with toilet and shower facilities) and Motel (about $130/night) very reasonable.

However, I like to here from the locals about their advice and experiences.

Juergen
    Pacer n3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cubscout View Post
    Juergen, since your nephew is a Glider Instructor, it might be of some interest to plan on at least a fuel stop, and perhaps layover at desert soaring meccas. Moriarty, NM comes to mind, and there are several in AZ, as well as the Minden/Reno area. Some L-O-N-G sailplane crosscountries in the west, usually landing back where they started. ssa.org has a directory of operations.

Thanks. cubscout
    Thanks, great idea. I will be going on a business trip to Germany in two weeks. I'll check with him when we do the first briefing on our trip.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When you get to Arizona you donít want to miss Sedona..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wcnyman View Post
    When you get to Arizona you don’t want to miss Sedona..
    Yes, Sedona (KSEZ) is less than 80 NM from Grand Canyon Caverns. I have it in mind for a lunch spot. I would like to hear if there are some nice backcountry strips around Sedona. I prefer at least 1,500 feet long and 20 feet wide since it will be two of us in the Pacer with survival gear/food and usually high density altitude.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cottonseed is abt 20 miles southwest of Sedona..paved runway..there is an old mining town called Jerome a short distance from Cottonwood that is built on the side of the mountain..nice place to visit and great restaurants..there is another airport south of the Grand Canyon Airport called the Grand Canyon Valle Airport..nice place to visit and they have a aviation museum museum there..Have a great trip..OH another nice place to visit is the Wayside Oasis. RV park and restaurant..they have a private airstrip there right beside the RV park...excellent food..this airport is not listed so you will have to call them for directions..they have a website.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Spelling error...town is called Cottonwood.