Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My next trip from Virginia to "out West"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My next trip from Virginia to "out West"

Not done any flying in AZ so I can't help with that. However, since you are going to be based out of Page, make sure you do not miss Antelope Canyon. Very cool place.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    Not done any flying in AZ so I can't help with that. However, since you are going to be based out of Page, make sure you do not miss Antelope Canyon. Very cool place.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Thanks for the tip. Yes, I have three none flying days planned while in Page:
    1) Visiting the Navajo Village and Lake Powell museum
    2) Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe bend overlook tour
    3) 15 Mile Colorado river rafting

Still looking for some good Arizona backcountry dirt strips to exercise the Pacer's backcountry capabilities. Preferable 1,500 foot minimum length and 20 feet wide.

I have been doing a lot of route planning from Virginia to Arizona and flights while we are there. The planning part is as much fun as the actual trip.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Juergen,

Any way to share the current route/ideas you're planning? I enjoy your trip reports, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Marble Canyon , short trip to the SW of Page to see the bridge across the colorado, its history , plus a good place for breakfast.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    Marble Canyon , short trip to the SW of Page to see the bridge across the colorado, its history , plus a good place for breakfast.
    Thank you, I have looked at Marble Canyon even as an option to stay in the Marble Canyon Lodge as an alternative to staying in Page. We will make that decision when it gets closer and we know the availability of rooms (and cost). We may stay in Page a couple of nights and then one or two nights at the Marble Canyon Lodge.

Lot's of fun doing the planning part. I will discuss this also with my nephew when I see him the end of the month in Germany.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kchansen View Post
    Juergen,

Any way to share the current route/ideas you're planning? I enjoy your trip reports, etc.
    This is the current plan with subject to change. The final changes may come the day when we are leaving and during the trip. On my last trip I had everything planned and then a large frontal system with IFR conditions blocked my departure from Winchester the morning I was leaving. I ended up filing IFR and the IFR routes over the Appalachian mountains demanded a route a little further South than what my plan was. I ended up a solid 3 hours in actual IMC. Anyhow:

Distance from KOKV (home base) to KPGA is 1,589 NM. We can do it in two days. Pretty straight line (I hope) from KOKV to 4V1 (Spanish Peaks, CO) about 1,255 NM (with overnight stop). Then a little zigzag to 07V, ALS and 24N before direct KPGA. The zigzag is to cross the Colorado Rockies using "La Veta Pass", "La Manga Pass" and "Cumbres Pass". I used these passes last year to cross the Rockies and it worked well (as you can see on my YouTube Channel).

While we are staying at Page and/or Marble Canyon we will do flying/driving tours to:
    a) Monument Valley, Fry Canyon and Nokai Dome
    b) Caveman, Mineral Canyon and Happy Canyon (we will also be looking for a nice river bar along the green river)
    c) At Page: Tour the Navajo Village and the Lake Powell Museum
    d) Take the 15 Mile Colorado River rafting tour
    e) Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend overlook tour
    f) Fly to Bryce Canyon for a day

Then fly to L37 (Grand Canyon Caverns) for a couple of nights camping or Motel:
    a) Flight from KPGA to L37 via one of the Grand Canyon routes with a lunch somewhere on the way
    b) Flight to Sedona with some backcountry dirt strips around Sedona and en-route (Still need to find some)
    c) Flight to Hoover dam with lunch stop at L25 (Pearce Ferry) and stops at any other backcountry dirt strips we can find

Going home from L37 (Grand Canyon Caverns) to KOKV is 1,691 NM. We will use the same route/Passes we used coming West. I still have to work out the overnight stays on the way West and East, but that will be also greatly influenced by the winds of the day.

Anyhow, I am a firm believer in having a detailed plan, but then be extremely flexible executing it. The more tools you have in your bag, the more likely you can execute your plan (IFR capable, flying at night, able to handle cross winds, high density operations, use of "unimproved landing sites", etc.). However, sometimes the weather can play havoc to the best plan (that is where the flexibility comes into place).

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    Last October was my first trip flying my Pacer from Winchester, VA to Utah, Nevada (High Sierra fly-in) and a one night stop at Lake Tahoe, CA. I had a blast and the whole trip is documented here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ASY5AjOOJAheTU.
    Now I'm hooked and I'm planning my next trip. In September my nephew from Germany (he is a glider instructor) will join me and we are planning to fly into Arizona and Utah for two weeks. Here are some questions to you locals and everyone who has visited there before:

1) Our first staging airport will be Page, AZ. I have read in a recent article that the "Rainbow Bridge" (a red rock arch) is about 50 Miles North of Page. Does anyone know the coordinates for it (or nearby landmarks) and can I land there with the Pacer? I will have my 22" Desser smooth "Baby Bush Wheels" on the Pacer.
    2) I would also like to look at Bryce Canyon. There is an airport close to it (KBCE). What is the best way to get from the airport to the Canyon for a tour and then back to the airport.
    3) After a couple of days operating out of Page, I am planning to fly South across the Grand Canyon to either camp or Motel Room at Grand Canyon Caverns (L37). Anyone has some recent experience staying at that airport either camping or using their Hotel/Motel facilities?

I'm sure I'll have some more questions before September. I have already picked some backcountry strips in Utah, we will fly over the Grand Canyon and most likely look at the Hoover Dam. While in that area we may fly into Henderson Exec so my Nephew can experience Las Vegas for two nights.

Any other suggestions for backcountry strips (especially in AZ) are welcome. Most likely I'll be at Sun & Fun Thursday through Sunday morning in April. I would love to talk to some of you locals or anyone who has flown this area of AZ before.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Sounds like a really fun trip, A whole lot of empty space. A survival kit will be mandatory, with lots of water. JUST IN CASE.

"BUT" Before you make this trip make sure you get a "Grand Canyon VFR sectional chart", there are some restricted areas in the Grand Canyon you do not want to violate.

The Park Service and the FAA can be a real Bitch.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes about the survival kit. Same as last year, I carry an extensive kit including first aid, locating beacon, radio, material to build a shelter, make a fire, etc. I also carry two gallon of water and two days of food as well as camping gear. I also bring ski pants and jacket along. Last year one night at Dead Cow lakebed it got down to 22 F.
    Yes also about the Grand Canyon. There are a couple of VFR corridors with specific waypoints, altitudes and frequencies to use. I studied all that already. I also usually consult local pilots.

Still searching for some nice backcountry Arizona dirt strips around the Grand Canyon area. Need about 1,500 feet by at least 20 feet wide.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z