Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Vagabond Propeller

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vagabond Propeller

I have a PA15 that has STC No: SA1-6019 installed. This allows the Continental A65-8 to be installed. It pretty much converts it to a PA17. The plane has dual controls and the bungee gear.
    The prop in the STC is a McCauley 1A90CF-7147 prop. The plane presently has a Sensenich W72CK-42 installed.
    I want to install a McCauley 1B90CM-7248. This is approved under PA17 A-805, Rev 12. The Flight Manual was revised to show the Continental engine and McCauley limitations under the STC.

Do I need to get a field approval for this installation? Just file a 337?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vagabond Propeller

Quote Originally Posted by DaleLindstrom View Post
    I have a PA15 that has STC No: SA1-6019 installed. This allows the Continental A65-8 to be installed. It pretty much converts it to a PA17. The plane has dual controls and the bungee gear.
    The prop in the STC is a McCauley 1A90CF-7147 prop. The plane presently has a Sensenich W72CK-42 installed.
    I want to install a McCauley 1B90CM-7248. This is approved under PA17 A-805, Rev 12. The Flight Manual was revised to show the Continental engine and McCauley limitations under the STC.

Do I need to get a field approval for this installation? Just file a 337?
    If the STC identifies only one model prop, that is ALL that is approved. Changing the prop to something other than what is listed on the STC would require some type of approved data, not just a 337.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't really think that a 337 would work. But, wouldn't the fact that the prop I want to install is listed in the PA17 TCD be adequate data?

Post Thanks / Like

If its approved on the same engine in the same airframe (or pretty dang close), Id think youd have a shot at a field approval. But the FSDOs are apparently getting tight with those. Maybe a DER approval after you collect some serial #s and whatnot?

Post Thanks / Like

The interesting thing is. The STC lists a 1A90CF-7147 and the 337 installing the STC shows a 1A90CM-7147. Besides the tip design, what is the difference between a CF and a CM?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaleLindstrom View Post
    I didn't really think that a 337 would work. But, wouldn't the fact that the prop I want to install is listed in the PA17 TCD be adequate data?
    No, even though your airplane may look like a PA-17, it is still a PA-15 modified by an STC. The PA-17 TC could be used as supporting data for a field approval or a DER approval, but it is not approved data for a PA-15.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk