Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacer turns 70

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pacer turns 70

Well everyone, out of bad news comes some good news. I talked with Dan from VAA this morning and we are already working on 2021! We were already working toward 2021 for the Tri-pacer, but here is the good part, we are going to celebrate both the PA-20 and PA-22 next year at Oshkosh! We will still stage just as we had planned for this year, but we willl have more planes and hope to make the sky dark with Short Wing Pipers arriving at Oshkosh in 2021!

So for this year make your plans for the SWPC convention in September of 2020 and next year we are going to blow the roof off with Short Wing Piper activites. The 2021 SWPC convention will be at the home of the fabric Pipers, in Lock Heaven, PA. along with Sentamental Journy, then Mass arrival and group parking at Oshkosh! Once we are all past this there will be some exciting times ahead and I hope to see everyone!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody else think we should try to get 70 planes together? After all, a 70th anniversary only comes around once! I just want to land first so I can watch the rest of the Pacer Air Force come in

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I would like to see 70 Pacers and 70 Tri-pacers or more! We could be like the locust converging on Oshkosh!

Post Thanks / Like

The last group Shortwing arrival, 16 Shortwings, 2009 to OSH was a disaster. It was lucky no one got killed. After a well developed plan and two briefs at Watertown it turned into a disorganized kludge as soon as we took off. It looked like a group of starved locust in a corn field feeding frenzy.
    I went to full power, climbed high and got away from the group and made my way in all by myself.
    NEVER AGAIN.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 05-05-2020 at 08:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    The last group Shortwing arrival, 2014 to OSH I believe was a disaster. It was lucky no one got killed. After a well developed plan and two briefs at Watertown it turned into a disorganized kludge as soon as we took off. It looked like a group of starved locust in a corn field feeding frenzy.
    I went to full power, climbed high and got away from the group and made my way in all by myself.
    NEVER AGAIN.
    Man it's got to be uber coordinated. The Cessna guys do it almost every year. Around 80 aircraft. I believe they run clinics during the year throughout the country led by experienced formation flyers within their group. If you don't attend at least one of these clinics AND don't attend the preflight the day of arrival, you don't get to join in.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Two of my friends died when they collided flying close formation and they flew a lot of formation together. As of today we still don't know how it happened. I fly formation with a few close friends, but would never do with strangers who I have no idea about their piloting skills.
    Here is a video of me flying close to my friend's Navion over the Hudson river past Manhattan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohne7pF382k .

However, would be great to get that many Short Wings park together at Oshkosh. I will be there next year.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

For the reasons listed here and other concerns, Oshkosh doesn't want a large formation descending on the airport. What they are asking us to do is launch airplanes about a minute or two minutes apart and arrive as a steady stream of planes making it easier for the controllers and the people on the ground as well as the pilots. Everyone wants to see everyone arrive safely and have a great time while there and a safe return home.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wag-builder View Post
    For the reasons listed here and other concerns, Oshkosh doesn't want a large formation descending on the airport. What they are asking us to do is launch airplanes about a minute or two minutes apart and arrive as a steady stream of planes making it easier for the controllers and the people on the ground as well as the pilots. Everyone wants to see everyone arrive safely and have a great time while there and a safe return home.

Steve
    p
    Makes sense to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm following along on this closely. 2021 is way too far off to know for certain, but it's my goal to participate. Sounds fun, especially if done safely (and I trust this group to do just that).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wag-builder View Post

Steve
    Steve, that would be a good way doing it. If then everyone would fly at the same indicated airspeed (or ground speed would even be better) it should give enough spacing. We do this all the time when arriving at S&F or Oshkosh. 100 kts, same altitude and nose to tail. No passing allowed. I am planning to be at Oshkosh next year.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z