Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Piper Elevator/Rudder Bushing Tool

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Piper Elevator/Rudder Bushing Tool

My machinist buddy and I figured we had saturated the market on Piper elevator and rudder bushing tools but every time we have made a batch I have sold them all and then get requests for more so we did it again. Just sent Bill at Stoddard's some stock and have some here. The tool makes removing and installing the elevator bushings easy and doesn't bell the end of the bushing the way I use to when I drove the bushings in with a punch. The tool is heat treated and will push a new bushing in while pushing the old one out. A word of caution, if the tool is hard to turn go ahead and knock the old bushing out with a punch rather than risk breaking the screw on the bushing tool. From my experience it seems the really worn bushings are the ones that are really tight coming out. Also if the clevis pin seems tight going in drive a 1/4" precision ball bearing through the bushing prior to pin installation to fix any bellying that might have occurred during installation. So if you have sloppy elevator or rudder bushings this tool will save you some pain and aggravation removing and installing new bushings. Pierce Aero Webstore
    100_6126.JPG

bushing tool.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Piper Elevator/Rudder Bushing Tool

Steve,

Just ordered one.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just sent out 5 so you should have it pretty soon. USPS priority mail.

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad the same concept can't be used on the flap/aileron hinges. I know there's a STC'd kit you can buy for those but at $265 for each flap, it's a slightly different price point.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    Too bad the same concept can't be used on the flap/aileron hinges. I know there's a STC'd kit you can buy for those but at $265 for each flap, it's a slightly different price point.
    Actually that s for the STC and the parts to do several hinges. You can buy extra bushing for a little more.

Post Thanks / Like

Used Steve's tool earlier this week replacing rudder long bushings, works great. The Univair bushings ID got tight when pressed in, so had to ream them with a 1/4" reamer.

Steve, Nice tool!