Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passenger door handle parts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Passenger door handle parts

This part in the picture broke on me. Not sure what it is called or where to find a used one. It pushes the door latch to open the door. Anybody know where I could find one? Thanks
    Also, my fuel selector leaks a little bit. I think it leaks only when I rotate the handle. Do you know if I can take it apart and put new internal parts and seals, or if I need to buy a new one. I thought it was a maule fuel selector but it looks like an imperial valve. I know it has 4 positions, both, off, left, right.IMG_20200218_151800.jpegIMG_20200218_170739.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Passenger door handle parts

Probably have to make one or find someone parting out a Tri-Pacer. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...-Latch-Rebuild

Sounds like you need to replace the o'ring. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...elector-Repair

Google is your friend when search things on tis website "subject" site:shortwingpipers.org in a Google search will find lots of great information.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that yellow stuff Teflon tape?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like natural gas line thread seal tape. If it is, I am not sure about it’s compatibility with liquid fuel...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

No thread tapes, of any kind, are recommended for aircraft fuel fittings.

Post Thanks / Like

"No thread tapes, of any kind, are recommended for aircraft fuel fittings."

Jim, I'd been told that (and no, I didn't use any), but could you explain to me again the reasoning for that?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Walt,

There have been aircraft accidents attributable to thread tape remnants interrupting fuel/oil flow. I've found remnants of the stuff in a natural gas line trap just ahead of a furnace. Like hair in a sink, the shreds may or may not be stopped by a screen. It's probably after several disassemblies the stuff gets loose in a system. Seen it more than once, like here, used on flair nuts. I use it all the time elsewhere, not for years on my plane.

https://www.kitplanes.com/best-practices-sealants/
    Last edited by Jim; 02-20-2020 at 07:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jim. Kinda what I thought.

I was 12 years in refrigeration, and we did use it, but only on occasion. I was taught early, however, to make %$# sure it didn't extend past the end of the threads. I almost always use it on plumbing fittings, especially those that might be subject to rust (i.e., RV heater sacrificial anode , electrical water heater element, etc.), but was warned NOT to use it on my PA-22. At all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Is that yellow stuff Teflon tape?
    I don't know if that yellow stuff is teflon tape or what. It's how it was when I bought the airplane. Sounds like it's not good to use whatever it is. My IA never said a word about it on any of my annual's. Since I need to replace the o-ring, I will be taking it apart and using the correct stuff. I purchased the EZ turn lubricant from aircraft spruce. It's a dope instead of tape.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You can replace the o'ring by removing the acorn nut. I would look at the gascolator and if it is clean I would leave it be myself.