Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Who can make me an avionics harness? (old equipment)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who can make me an avionics harness? (old equipment)

Hello All
    Hey all
    I'm continuing to put my 1955 Tri-Pacer back together. I've scrounged up an audio panel and a couple of radios. I'd like to find someone who can make me a wiring harness for these items. Who knows a guy who would do it?

Used but serviceable equipment list:
    PMA6000 audio panel
    MX170 NAV/COM + KN75 GS + KI209
    KY196 COM
    Apollo SL70 Transponder + ACK A30

I can do the install with my A&P so I just need a 4 place harness made for me based on the above equipment list.

Regards
    Russ

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Who can make me an avionics harness? (old equipment)

youtube is your friend, you never know, you might enjoy working with shielded wire, I fell in love with it, cant tear me away from it now, its fun, funner than flying, I dont even fly anymore I just practice grounding shields LOL. Seriously, If you cant find anyone to do it, you can probably find out how on youtube

First step is tracking down the install manuals or wiring diagrams for every component you listed.. I had a fun one last year, had to wire a new encoding altimeter plug.. didnt want to start from scratch so had to make a few calls to avionics shops to get a copy of the old encoding altimeter wiring diagram.. it was from the 1960s.. nobody had it except one shop out in Wichita I think..
    Last edited by PA-16; 04-05-2023 at 12:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Any avionics shop can make you a harness.

Post Thanks / Like

Making the harness is one thing, troubleshooting after installation is a totally different animal. While having a good harness to start sure helps installation, there is a better than 50/50 chance that during installation something will get crossed and unless you know how the harness was built, you will have a hard time troubleshooting to fix it. Best to have the same person that builds the harness do the installation. Oh, yeah, just remember that most shops will not Warrenty an installation with used radios and it cost just as much to install used as it does new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have seen harnesses built by avionics shops that were clearly marked and no issues. Of course there was the harness I had made and they said the tested it and everything and after install and nothing worked I discovered the pins were installed in a mirror image of what they should be. Luckily nothing was damaged.