Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Continental Rocker arm to valve stem misalignment

Post Thanks / Like

Default Continental Rocker arm to valve stem misalignment

Got an 0-200 that the rocker arm tips are not contacting all of the exhaust valve tips . You can see part of the valve stem on some. None of the rocker arms are the new part numbers which are shown to be intake and exhaust specific. TCM SB M77-19 states the exhaust are the only rockers with the oil hole. Any body run into this problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Continental Rocker arm to valve stem misalignment

Do you mean they are not contacting square? Had rocker arms resurfaced on my Dad's O-320 and an O-470 at overhaul several years ago. He got back from Alaska and found steel in the screen. We thought it was the cam going, tore the engine down and the cam was good. Then we found the rocker arms weren't contacting the valves squarely and was cchipping steel off of the rocker arms. The vendor who reconditioned the rocker arms said they rest the machine with every set but when I inspected the O-470 I found the same issue just not as sever since it hadn't flown as much. Some engines have oil holes on all the rocker shafts to squirt on the valves and some just on the exhaust.

Post Thanks / Like

They also paid for the engine tear down, parts, and serviceable rocker arms. Pretty big bill as I remember it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll post pictures Monday, you can see some of the ex valve tips clearly! I'm used to seeing non-perfect alignment but this is crazy! Beats hell out of me! Never seen this before! I get all the wierd stuff, it's my curse I guess! Bird came from the Roswell area, aliens done it!

Post Thanks / Like

Rocker arms should be fixtured so the rocker arm shaft is parallel to the toe of the arm and the surfacing wheel or grinding wheel. The toe, the surface that contacts the the valve stem must be square with the valve stem. If not you will have high unit loading and spalling of the rocker arm toe.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 02-29-2020 at 08:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Called Continental this morning, sent them pictures, they told me that it was safe to run these.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Just checked my O-200 for the first time and saw one worse than picture number three. And they get $400 for those things? Look like they were forged by a caveman over a campfire!