Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stewart paint using turbine paint system

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stewart paint using turbine paint system

" If I could just learn how to mask the stripes to avoid some of the paint bleeding under the tape. Oh well, by the time I'm done with the whole airplane I will know how to do it"

I have never had any bleeding when using Fine Line tapes on any of the several planes I have painted. .Yes it cost more but is worth it. Even on the pinked edges of the finishing tapes on fabric covering it will seal. In the old days we would spray/brush on a coat of clear or the base color coat then the final trim color. Learned this a long time ago building Balsa "U" Control planes and using POS tape. Also I WILL NOT use POS masking tape from the box stores it has to come from the auto paint supply store.

Your finish is looking good. Keep it up

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, what grit sandpaper do you use to scuff the paint between coats? Especially the stripes. I cut 320 grit in small strips a little narrower than the stripe and try not to hit the masking tape. It is so tedious and hard not to hit the masking tape.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Juergen,

The brown Scotch Brite pads work very well.
    Last edited by Jim; 03-16-2020 at 06:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I use fine line tape and spray a light coat of the base coat against the edge with an airbrush. That seals the tape edge and any bleed thru from that is the same color that is behind the tape.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I use fine line tape and spray a light coat of the base coat against the edge with an airbrush. That seals the tape edge and any bleed thru from that is the same color that is behind the tape.
    This is why this forum is so great. I have never thought about that trick. Of course it would require a lot of extra work and patience (which I lag sometimes), but it probably would give perfect results. I guess there is a reason why Red Lady wins awards.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Hi agsin,

Run a fingernail along the tape edge and you'll see a slight color change as it seals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi Juergen,

The brown Scotch Brite pads work very well.
    I use 400-600 grit wet dry with water to give the surface a little bite. In MOST cases 320 is fine but the thinner the paint the finer the sandpaper. In the old days you would use 320 on enamel and 400 on lacquer. I DO NOT like scotch brite pads on painted surfaces. It seems just about impossible to get all of the small bits of FUR off of not only the paint but also the surrounding areas. Sometimes it will get stuck under rivet heads and such.
    I have used what seems like miles of BLUE fine line tape with no bleed thru. All I do is run my finger over it no paint or finger nails required. Most of the time it sticks to good. Also the fine line allows you to sand the area to be painted without hurting the tape IF YOU ARE CAREFUL.

I don't have any good close ups but you can see no bleed thru and nice sharp lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do link Jim said except use a credit card. Used up gift cards work great.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again Juergen,

I found a thread here that shows my work on mine. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...ctures)/page11 Thread number 245. I've never had fuzzing problems with the pads, but didn't like how paper would leave a small 16th of an inch close to the fineline unscuffed. I like how those with success stories are so willing to share here. I also painted all the trim first, a lot easier to mask the trim compared to doing everything else. After the fine line I taped with electrical tape to get wider than the 1/4" fine line. The paper went on the black tape with masking tape. I only used masking tape for paper to paper or to the black tape.

Don't ever try plastic sheet for masking, the over spray will blow off the plastic and fly all over during another coat.
    Last edited by Jim; 03-16-2020 at 08:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi again Juergen,

I found a thread here that shows my work on mine. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...ctures)/page11 Thread number 245. I've never had fuzzing problems with the pads, but didn't like how paper would leave a small 16th of an inch close to the fineline unscuffed. I like how those with success stories are so willing to share here. I also painted all the trim first, a lot easier to mask the trim compared to doing everything else. After the fine line I taped with electrical tape to get wider than the 1/4" fine line. The paper went on the black tape with masking tape. I only used masking tape for paper to paper or to the black tape.

Don't ever try plastic sheet for masking, the over spray will blow off the plastic and fly all over during another coat.
    Jim, nice work on the restoration. I looked at the pictures. A lot of tight radii (is that the right word?) on the gear legs to lay the tape.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z