Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Stewart paint using turbine paint system

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stewart paint using turbine paint system

I painted this test panel. My flying buddies still don't trust "this water based stuff" on airplanes. They question if the paint will last through the seasons and exposure to avgas. I will mount the panel in my back yard and leave it out all season to see how the paint will do. I may bring a little cup of avgas home every once in a while and pour it over the panel.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again Juergen,

Thanks!

......"A lot of tight radii (is that the right word?) on the gear legs to lay the tape."

That was all done with the 1/4" fineline tape. It was covering the brown which ended up between the tan and orange which showed after all the tapes were removed. The only places where I had paint wicking was at several of the lap joints, I didn't push the tape down well enough. A small brush easily fixed those. Steve mentioned a credit card, I was using a bondo spreader but figured I'd written enough already to get into that too.

I'd like to see a sun blocking something or other covering a strip across your test panel colors after a few seasons. I have no reason to think their products have any problems, well one with an injector additive in one brand of car gas. There's a thread around here somewhere with the specifics.
    Last edited by Jim; 03-16-2020 at 10:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Got the Pacer back together and log book signed. Took me two and a half month to "just" paint the cowling, wheel pants and spinner and fix the engine baffle. Of course this is while still having a full time job. The original question was about painting water based paint with a turbine paint system. The answer is a definite yes, you just have to learn about the paint and probably adjust your technique a little.

Next will be the doors, then the flaps and ailerons and so on until the whole airplane is done with time flying it between each set of parts I restore. I just can't take the Pacer down for an extensive period of time and not fly.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Looks fantastic!

Sent from my SM-G892A using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J Ryd View Post
    Looks fantastic!
    Ditto, exactly what I was gonna post.

Post Thanks / Like

On Monday, March 30, 2020 7:43 AM, Sales Stewarts Systems <sales@stewartsystems.aero> wrote:

Howdy, what wax do you recomend?

Any carnauba car wax will work just fine. Turtle wax or something like that. We suggest waiting about 30 days before waxing it.

Andy

I'm gonna wax mine, makes bug cleanup and washing easy!
    Last edited by at7615; 03-30-2020 at 01:04 PM.