Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wag-a-bong wings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wag-a-bong wings

I just ordered plans for the Wag-a-Bond Traveler. For those of you who are building or have built a Wag-a-Bond did you build metal or wood wings and why?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wag-a-bong wings

Using premade metal ribs would save time. Making wooden ribs would save money. I doubt either makes much difference as far as strength or durability. Wood if kept dry will last decades. Making metal ribs would be a challenge.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Well my Starduster Too 5 ply Routed Mahogany Ribs are doing fine after 47 years. I have also built cap strip ribs which is very enjoyable building. GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I wonder why most planes of the 20s-40s used them. It is tough for the average homebuilder to build aluminum ribs. I had several friends tell me their sad stories when building them for T-18s, Mustangs, and other plans built planes . Build a nice jig, cut all your parts then build a rib a night inside the AC while watching TV

Post Thanks / Like

I built wood ribs for my Wag-A-Bond, because I enjoy building and take pride in the craftsmanship. I really don't know if there is a cost savings, but I do know the wood wings are lighter and with epoxy varnish they should last longer than me. Just a word of caution for you, if you are expecting a step by step instructions that is not what these plans are. You can build the plane from the plans, but you will have to figure some things out on your own. But we are always here to help if you have questions.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wag-builder View Post
    I built wood ribs for my Wag-A-Bond, because I enjoy building and take pride in the craftsmanship. I really don't know if there is a cost savings, but I do know the wood wings are lighter and with epoxy varnish they should last longer than me. Just a word of caution for you, if you are expecting a step by step instructions that is not what these plans are. You can build the plane from the plans, but you will have to figure some things out on your own. But we are always here to help if you have questions.

Steve
    Thank you Steve, did you use wood spars as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I bought blanks from Wicks Aircraft and cut my own spars. I have not completed the project yet, but I am building everything and not using any parts from other airplanes or buying parts from Wag-Aero, and I am really enjoying the project. It also helps that I have something else to fly in the process.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose09 View Post
    I just ordered plans for the Wag-a-Bond Traveler. For those of you who are building or have built a Wag-a-Bond did you build metal or wood wings and why?
    I didn't build my Wagabond, but it does have wood spars and built-up wood ribs. It's also a Traveler, featured in Kitplanes in 2015 (before I bought it): https://www.kitplanes.com/ray-hills-wag-a-bond/

As you move along in your build, I'd be glad to help with pictures, measurements, etc.

Tom P.
    Wagabond @ 08A

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6PapaWhiskey View Post
    I didn't build my Wagabond, but it does have wood spars and built-up wood ribs. It's also a Traveler, featured in Kitplanes in 2015 (before I bought it): https://www.kitplanes.com/ray-hills-wag-a-bond/

As you move along in your build, I'd be glad to help with pictures, measurements, etc.

Tom P.
    Wagabond @ 08A
    Oh man Tom, you got a beautiful bird! I love to see some more pictures of it. Have you ever slept in it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose09 View Post
    Oh man Tom, you got a beautiful bird! I love to see some more pictures of it. Have you ever slept in it?
    No - I'm at an age where camping isn't much fun any more and where I can afford hotel rooms Keep in mind that the plywood deck adds a bit of weight, although it helps the CG a bit. My Wag has a very forward CG even with a light weight Sensenich wood prop. I solved some of the issue with a small (6 lb) alternator installation. When solo, I keep a small tool kit in the baggage compartment under the plywood deck. I thought about moving the battery back there, but I've gone to an Odyssey PC680 which is much lighter than the Concord. It's something you may want to consider, depending on the engine and prop you choose.

Let me know when you run into questions as you build where pictures would help.

Tom P.
    Wagabond @ 08A

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wag-builder View Post

Steve
    Steve did you bevel the top of your spars to match the airfoil curve in the top cap strip so there is not a gap?
    Attached Images Attached Images