Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me with pacer rear seatbelt!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help me with pacer rear seatbelt!

I have a 1952 pa 22/20 with the dual seat belt rear seat. I removed the seat a few years ago, and need to put it back in for a passenger in December. I can get it in and laced but, but for the life of me I can't remember how the 2 inside seat belt pieces attach. The 2 outside pieces are bolted to the stud that also attaches the lower rear seat brace. There is no stud in the floor that I can see to bolt these to. Im losing my mind. I don't even see anything that would suggest I'm missing parts. Can someone help?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help me with pacer rear seatbelt!

My '52 Pacer only has a single lap belt for the rear passengers, bolting to either side of the fuselage..... I wonder if the PA 22 is the same.

Post Thanks / Like

It was restored and refinished in 2007, and I suspect they added the feature then. Its got a slot cut in the bottom fabric for the seat belts in the middle, but nothing on the floor to bolt to. I feel like a damn fool. I really need to take pics of things before disassembly.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless someone replaced the tube under the rear seat with a larger one, I wouldn't put a center seat belt attach there. That tube was originally 5/8 X .035. Definitly not strong enough to absorb impact loads from a center seat belt attach. It will fail. Later PA-22s with the center seat belt attach have a 1 1/8 X .049 tube there. The 1 1/8" tube wasn't installed until 22-3387
    Last edited by dgapilot; 11-14-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 53 PA22 and in the floor there is what looks like a u bracket sticking up from the floor. The two seat belt attachments go in it and a bolt passes thru the whole thing.
    -Ken

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The tube is larger. Over an inch for sure, so that must have been replaced. Did the latter pa22s use the tube as an attach point? If so I'm missing parts. There is definitely no bracket on the floor for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyboyjake View Post
    The tube is larger. Over an inch for sure, so that must have been replaced. Did the latter pa22s use the tube as an attach point? If so I'm missing parts. There is definitely no bracket on the floor for it.
    Some have welded attach points, others just have a clamp that goes around the tube and the seat belt attaches to the clamp. Is there a hole in the floor where a fitting used to be? Is it possible that when you pulled the seat some time ago, you removed the clamp as it was an obstruction to having a flat floor?

Post Thanks / Like

Drawing 14610 shows clamp 10466-26. I believe an MS27405-9 or MS27405-9P is what has been used in the past. Did a quick search and don't see them coming up anywhere. I suspect you could fabricate a clamp from .095" X.875" and bend it around a 1 1/8 tube, radius the ends, and drill an appropriate hole for the bolt in your seat belt end. The drawing 10466 is on the Vagabond CD under clamps. All the dimensions for the clamp are there. A little hard to read but there.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a distinct possibility, but I've scoured the floor for a hole in the carpet or on the sub floor and found nothing. I can't imagine the brace tube would have been replaced with the larger one unless the intent was to use it for the seat belts. Though I am often wrong about such assertions. If anyone has a picture of the tube with the clamp on it so I can get a feel for what I'm looking for, id be full of gratitude!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that dga. If I can't find it I'll fabricate something. The ends already have a hole drilled.