Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Picture with headliner removed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Picture with headliner removed

I was reading a post on the skylight stc and someone mentioned that they permanently removed their headliner and they like it, opens up the plane a bit and gives it a utilitarian look. I was curious if who ever has done this could post a picture? Pretty please? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Picture with headliner removed

I'll get a picture. But removing the headliner works for me because I have a skylight and my plane has been modified for Backcountry flying. I have no insulation, carpeting or interior fabric. My plane is designed to be light.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I'll get a picture. But removing the headliner works for me because I have a skylight and my plane has been modified for Backcountry flying. I have no insulation, carpeting or interior fabric. My plane is designed to be light.
    Stephen, do you find with no interior fabric, loading things with sharp edges is problematic? When I had my Howard, I loaded some long push pull tubes in the fuselage and hit the side fabric and caused the dope in that area to chip off. I’m figuring on using non certified lightweight fabric on the interior. I’ll have a skylight, and haven’t decided on a headliner or not. Also, what did you do at the wing root area?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW
    Here is what I did at the wing roots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Stephen, do you find with no interior fabric, loading things with sharp edges is problematic? When I had my Howard, I loaded some long push pull tubes in the fuselage and hit the side fabric and caused the dope in that area to chip off. I’m figuring on using non certified lightweight fabric on the interior. I’ll have a skylight, and haven’t decided on a headliner or not. Also, what did you do at the wing root area?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't have a problem with my interior fabric removed. Fabric is much stronger than people think. I haul all kinds of stuff in my plane, big boxes on my COSTCO runs, tires, plants, small trees, etc. In the summer I camp and sleep in my plane. I don't give a second thought about ripping the inside of the exterior fabric. I also like the fact that all my over head pulleys and cables are exposed for easy maintenance. If you look inside of many old open cockpit planes you will see all the tubes, stringers, plumbing and cables exposed. I oddly like the utilitarian look. I did put fabric over the wing roots, to cut down on the air flow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My Clipper didn't have a headliner and we ripped it out of Cathy's Tri-Pacer when we did the skylight. Doesn't look good because of old glue etc but works. My Clipper was very cold flying cross country in the winter between Texas ad Tennessee.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you all think the headliner and insulation make that big of a difference in winter keeping it warm inside? On the flight from Colorado to Arizona, it was 25 degrees when we left and within 15 minutes I was sweltering, the heater in these things cranks! And that was only the front too...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FFSchooley View Post
    Do you all think the headliner and insulation make that big of a difference in winter keeping it warm inside? On the flight from Colorado to Arizona, it was 25 degrees when we left and within 15 minutes I was sweltering, the heater in these things cranks! And that was only the front too...
    I do fine in my Pacer without insulation but, Western Washington State's winter temperatures are not too terrible in the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wyandot jim View Post
    FWIW
    Here is what I did at the wing roots.

Jim that looks great! I haven't seen the skylight with the overhead center console (If you want to call it that). Skylight is definately on my to do list.
    Jan