Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Picture with headliner removed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Picture with headliner removed

OMG. That is one of the brightest, cheery-ist-est, classiest, prettiest interiors without an interior I've ever seen in a shortwing. Period. First of all, start with the best colors for a classic (red&white) then do little accent things with fabric and carpet. I won't even mention looking in a pilot side door...geez. Very nice.

My panel is flat black. My interior is flat black. I have red and gray seat covers and some-dam-oh-yeah SUN VALLEY IVORY exterior dope. No interior panels, no interior fabric, no headliner. I can see all my cables and fuel lines. At a glance. I'm going to change something soon. Yes, my TriPacer is light without an interior. Prolly add a Sebring Orange stripe or two on the outside. But what to do on the interior except, start over. I like orange. I know - I need to just go fly and look outside and stop looking at the plane sitting on the ground. My instruments on that flat panel are improving, tho. New EGT and CHT and fuel flow gauges. I made some progress and glued in a ceconite rear baggage compartment back panel today. That was hard. Shrink it tomorrow. Progress is slow but continues...
    Last edited by Subsonic; 03-23-2020 at 11:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Any chance you want to share some pics? I would love to see the “naked” interior look

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is ours, not yet finished.
    headliner.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FFSchooley View Post
    Any chance you want to share some pics? I would love to see the “naked” interior look
    4216D2B7-79ED-4E1D-8568-FBFB5A482BDB.jpegEEEF85DE-1733-4285-A00A-8225F58FAE6B.jpeg
    DE078482-ABE2-4461-B831-37C7F53FDDD2.jpeg778D78D6-CA84-453E-886F-23223A6E9220.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FFSchooley View Post
    89AE551A-877A-4D51-9E27-80448B34BD02.jpegD0FBDA43-11F3-4097-B40A-94C311ED505D.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Reading the headliner installation instructions I see that it glues to the interior fabric. Since I don’t have interior fabric I have to start there. So here’s my first step of installing interior fabric. I got the back luggage compartment bulkhead covered, shrunk, and then two coats of nitrate dope, And some reinforcing tapes.36CF4911-3BEB-4A13-92CC-5F56C78BF17E.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool! Thank you for sharing! any reason you are not staying with the naked interior look?

my headliner is stained from an old fuel leak. I like the naked look up
    top so I am considering removing the headliner, I just have a feeling the frame isn’t painted uniformly, since the rest of the frame is a mix of blue and yellow.
    Last edited by FFSchooley; 03-24-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Subsonic, looks very cool! I just removed my headliner to replace, but I agree I like the naked look. I still have all the insulation in it. So I would remove all the insulation too? what did you use to get the uniform look inside. Did you paint the fabric??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EdH View Post
    Subsonic, looks very cool! I just removed my headliner to replace, but I agree I like the naked look. I still have all the insulation in it. So I would remove all the insulation too? what did you use to get the uniform look inside. Did you paint the fabric??
    The Fabric is not painted on the inside. You’re seeing black closed cell foam insulation that was installed by the previous owner. He cut formfitting pieces between every fuselage member and glued them to the backside of the outer fabric. It keeps my plane pretty warm and quiet inside, relatively speaking. I admit that the utility of being able to see and service cables and fuel lines is of value. Because I had no fabric panels in the luggage compartment, that compartment has limited utility for carrying anything. Small items must be boxed or bagged up. Else they head off to no mans land in the tail cone. So I wanted walls for my baggage interior. I also thought I wanted a headliner, but now you all have me second-guessing that. I’m going to finish putting the walls in the baggage area for sure. I’ve considered using Velcro attached coroplast-backed carpeted panels for the pilot side and right rear passenger side walls. For the side kick panels In the boot cowl area I plan to use the same type of coroplast-backed carpeted Velcro attached panels. I like the idea of being able to quickly remove a panel to get to important parts.
    Last edited by Subsonic; 03-25-2020 at 10:03 AM. Reason: more info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    The Fabric is not painted on the inside. You’re seeing black closed cell foam insulation that was installed by the previous owner. He cut formfitting pieces between every fuselage member and glued them to the backside of the outer fabric. It keeps my plane pretty warm and quiet inside, relatively speaking. I admit that the utility of being able to see and service cables and fuel lines is of value. Because I had no fabric panels in the luggage compartment, that compartment has limited utility for carrying anything. Small items must be boxed or bagged up. Else they head off to no mans land in the tail cone. So I wanted walls for my baggage interior. I also thought I wanted a headliner, but now you all have me second-guessing that. I’m going to finish putting the walls in the baggage area for sure. I’ve considered using Velcro attached coroplast-backed carpeted panels for the pilot side and right rear passenger side walls. For the side kick panels In the boot cowl area I plan to use the same type of coroplast-backed carpeted Velcro attached panels. I like the idea of being able to quickly remove a panel to get to important parts.
    My baggage has a metal sides and back. Might be easy to make some in a couple of pieces that can be installed and removed as desired. Might help your baggage area utility.