Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jacking up a tail wheel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Jacking up a tail wheel

I use my engine hoist attached to the handle on the longeron. It’s not perfect, but easy on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

Engine hoist for me as well. I use lift or tow straps to keep away scratches.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up the 1000 Lbs model of the Harbor Freight platform lift 3 years ago, to make easy work of performing a top overhaul on a O-540. Since that time I've found several other useful ways its handy, but I'll admit lifting the Pacer tail-wheel off the gound for easy access never occurred to me. Thanks for the tip!

https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...harbor+freight
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I use. The first one uses a boat crank (Harbor Freight) and I slide it under the tailwheel and secure the tail wheel with the chain you can see in the photo. I then crank it up with little to no effort. The second one has a U bracket at the top and it is attached to a trailer crank. I put this U bracket under the tail leaf spring and then crank it up. Makes leveling a aircraft very easy. Both of these I made in about a day and a half.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I added this attachment to the cheapie lift. It's adjustable to cope with the different tailwheel heights in the 'fleet'.
    It will lift high enough to do maintenance, and require less bending to lift the tail further onto a tail stand.
    Attached Images Attached Images