Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: rear tailwheel spring bracket Q

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: rear tailwheel spring bracket Q

Sounds like you have it figured out.

Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Ours in a conversion and we had an issue where that bracket broke lose. Kind of a PIA once the aircraft is covered. I'm certainly no expert but... In our case it looked like when they attached the bracket they didn't have full contact between the bracket and the tubes. Especially on the front edge. They welded where they made contact but those welds didn't hold. It might be a testament to my landing technique but that bracket can get a lot of abuse.

Here's some poor quality pictures of the repaired/rewelded bracket on our airplane. So far the repair has held for 10+ years. Maybe because my landings are better but maybe not.

SDC10748.JPGSDC10745.JPG
    “Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.”
    ― Victor Hugo

Post Thanks / Like

looks like there is a huge amount of leverage on the attach points from the long spring--
    like to have some rubber bands back there like a model airplane
    but seriously folks--- I wonder if the tire air could be manipulated to get a little damping when it "hits" …..
    but I guess its still bouncy even if the air was low....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's been working fine for 70 plus years on every tube and fabric aircraft Piper ever made. Only issues I have seen is on Tri-Pacer conversions with the hole for the tail skid and aircraft that are operated heavy in extreme conditions off airport. This is how Piper did it on an original 1949 Clipper.
    IMG_20200325_151617.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Another view.
    IMG_20200325_151607.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

And yet another.
    IMG_20200325_151604.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

WOW---- Those pics help a LOT Steve ! Thank you so much ! I have done the things yall said were good ( I think)
    anti-Crush sleeve inside the front bracket. Liner tubes from rear bracket to just forward of first tube bay (just into cluster)
    Double sleeve in tail post. New rear bracket. Fibbed new flying wire bracket to weld onto front bracket (off old one)

Do you normally put a weld bead between the flying wire bracket and the longeron tubes ? There is kind of a vertex there
    and it might be really easy to accidently get some undercut in the bracket-- which would be really bad from a welding point
    of view..... Another option would be - after everything is welded and blasted lightly-- to feed some bronze in there to fill
    the vertex so water/dirt cant lay there. I wouldn't think a weld there is adding much of anything strength-wise. A small rust hole there was why I HAD to replace the longerons--- I guess the previous guys were willing to ignore it. But I wanted to do liners to while I had it down naked. As everybody said--- better now than later !
    Will do some "real" digital camera pictures as I get close to welding (maybe in a couple days--) My wall mart flip phone wont seem to focus closer than 3 feet---- )

Tim
    Last edited by violinmaker; 03-25-2020 at 11:09 PM. Reason: addition

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You DO NOT weld along the longeron to the tailbrace wire bracket. There is an AD on certain serial number Super Cubs due to Piper doing this. Do it the way Piper did it originally.

Post Thanks / Like

Likewise if you are going to try and braze 4130 use extreme caution! I’ve seen where brazing 4130 results in a nasty crack on the back side. Don’t know if it was from the alloy of the wire, getting the base metal to hot and mixing the braze wire with the base or what. If you decide to try it, do it on some scrap first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Also know that if you braze it, you will never weld that again.

Steve