Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you folks carry a jack with you when you go cross country?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do any of you folks carry a jack with you when you go cross country?

I'm thinking of looking for a nice light scissor jack for the the odd chance I might need it. Or, maybe there's a better idea out there? Please comment freely. Thx.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do any of you folks carry a jack with you when you go cross country?

I just carry a little bottle jack like this
    IMG_1111.jpg

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do any of you folks carry a jack with you when you go cross country?

I carry a Bottle of fix a flat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I've never carried one with me. I have seen several people carefully lift up one side of a plane.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Be super careful lifting the aircraft.--A volunteer 'helper'tried lifting the wing of my club's Tripacer, with a shoulder under the strut---new strut required.
    Can be a problem deciding just what spares and equipment to carry!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bobgod View Post
    Be super careful lifting the aircraft.--A volunteer 'helper'tried lifting the wing of my club's Tripacer, with a shoulder under the strut---new strut required.
    Can be a problem deciding just what spares and equipment to carry!.
    I did that in my Clipper many years ago. Got stuck on a sand bar when I buried one tire. Figured out I could pile sand around the tire and pick up on the strut/wing, the sand would fall in the hole and after many cyles of this process I was able to get myself out. Only problem was I found out the next morning that I put a dent in my strut just below the wing attach.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I did that in my Clipper many years ago. Got stuck on a sand bar when I buried one tire. Figured out I could pile sand around the tire and pick up on the strut/wing, the sand would fall in the hole and after many cyles of this process I was able to get myself out. Only problem was I found out the next morning that I put a dent in my strut just below the wing attach.
    Steve.......we're counting your dented struts.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

If you are tall enough (I'm 6'1") and young/fit enough (I'm 62 and fit) and the upper strut cuffs are removed (I'm lazy so I just leave 'em off), you can lift the wing at the upper strut/wing joint where it's a lot of welds and smaller surface area, above the streamlined area. Helps to wear leather gloves - the same gloves we use when hand propping.

I have perfected the wing lift technique from years of backing my plane into the hangar, where the left wing Demer/Madras droop tip just about touches a horizontal beam in the hangar wall. Pushing up the wing enough to make the gear come together fully gives me about 2" clearance.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

you guys ( and the flat tw tire we got last year in SC ) got me thinking, picked up this alloy scissor jack pretty reasonable.

20200520 944 jack.JPG

Porsche 944 equipment 3.2 lbs., just watch later years have a bulb on the top which fits into the body console, but would make it unusable for the plane. Seems like the screwdriver from the tool kit would turn the screw almost as well as the steel handle they usually come with... Cheers,
    Donn
    1949 Clipper PA-16 O-235

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue44 View Post
    you guys ( and the flat tw tire we got last year in SC ) got me thinking, picked up this alloy scissor jack pretty reasonable.

20200520 944 jack.JPG

Porsche 944 equipment 3.2 lbs., just watch later years have a bulb on the top which fits into the body console, but would make it unusable for the plane. Seems like the screwdriver from the tool kit would turn the screw almost as well as the steel handle they usually come with... Cheers,
    That's exactly the style jack I use in the hangar for wheel/brake work. I actually cut out a larger section where the jack contacts the axle. That way it's less likely to slip out. Use a screwdriver to turn. Easy peasy.
    Jan

Sent from my SM-G892A using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app