Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Wag-A-bond

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Wag-A-bond

Started on my Wag scratch build today. Master nose block and gussets done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Another Wag-A-bond

Check the distance between the spars before you get too far along if you haven't verified it yet. I had to adjust the drawings to get the correct distance between the spars. If you are using the wood wings, I have a steel fixture to make the aileron brackets if you want to use it.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wag-builder View Post
    Check the distance between the spars before you get too far along if you haven't verified it yet. I had to adjust the drawings to get the correct distance between the spars. If you are using the wood wings, I have a steel fixture to make the aileron brackets if you want to use it.

Steve
    Thank you Steve! Good call.

Post Thanks / Like

What you might do for a jig is to. Build a FLAT box top say with 1/2 plywood minimum and 1x2 sides and ends. Glue the plans on the lid and varnish which keeps the glue from sticking. Make your holding blocks from dowel and screw into lid with woodscrews off center on dowel. That allows them to work as a cam and tighten to the cap strip. The blocks like you have in the picture can be a pain when trying to remove the rib. A GOOD JIG makes life better. Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! Yes, I agree that the cam lock jigs blocks work great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wyandot jim View Post
    What you might do for a jig is to. Build a FLAT box top say with 1/2 plywood minimum and 1x2 sides and ends. Glue the plans on the lid and varnish which keeps the glue from sticking. Make your holding blocks from dowel and screw into lid with woodscrews off center on dowel. That allows them to work as a cam and tighten to the cap strip. The blocks like you have in the picture can be a pain when trying to remove the rib. A GOOD JIG makes life better. Just my opinion.
    Make sure you check all dimensions when doing this, paper shrinks and grows with changes in moisture content, and not necessarily proportional in all directions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Wing rib is just about done. As soon as my shipment from AC Spruce arrived I’ll be able to start production.

Post Thanks / Like

Nose blocks complete.

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad to see that you are taking the time to actually fit the diagonals into the corners and miter them. There are so many people that just butt them together and count on the gusset holding everything together and transferring the loads. I see you cheated and did not cut the reverse angle on the nose block to help hold the capstrip in place under load, that was a real pain the behind cutting and sanding that sharp point in the plywood. It is looking good, keep it up and before you know it you will have a stack of ribs.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I will definitely be cutting the reverse angle in the nose blocks. Those were fresh from the router and I was excited to take a pic.