Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: general Q on instruments--

Post Thanks / Like

Default general Q on instruments--

My airframe came with a box of surplus instruments. Prob all need overhaul--
    Im noticing just how FAT many of them are---

Is it popular on these kinds of pipers to use smaller diameter instruments from slightly
    newer pipers (say mid or late 80's or early 90's vintage) where the instruments are smaller
    so they make a bit more space in the panel for other stuff ? Some of these old Attitudes are
    all most the size of a coffee can---

I want to use all old school steam gauges with maybe an LCD display GPS with an attitude backup
    screen for redundancy--- but Im used to the old gauges-- and dang it-- I like them just fine

Could I use gauges from an 80's piper Cherokee and get more compact ones ? (with the proper overhauls to adjust the V-speeds on airspeed for instance---) (im thinking mostly of the 6 - pack part)

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: general Q on instruments--

Space and a more logical arrangement of the "80's" gages is big advantage compared to options with the original old Attitude and Gyro compass. The later gages are much lighter and I have found it hard to find an instrument shop has the capability to ovhl the old vintage stuff.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Sad thing is, today the electronic instruments cost less than the old steam gages. You may want to keep it looking more “period”, but costs will likely dictate otherwise.

Don’t forget that the old AN style attitude indicator and DG are likely contaminated with radium as well, so disposing of them may be problematic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the
    <https://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum/showthread.php?9320-Show-Us-Your-Panel!-(Pictures)>
    link in the Saloon.

There are lots of panel upgrade pictures and options shown and discussed.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks--- I was thinking of maybe 89's or early 90's instruments..... wonder if those had radium ??? (No?)

My plane has the dash mod where the tubing is re-arranges to make more room behind the instruments.
    That may help some---

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the old gauges such as an Artificial Horizon and DG are heavy, big and obsolete. You can get much better equipment, cheaper and cut lots of weight. You don't need a vacuum system anymore. Lower your maintenance, weight and costs. Plus, get more accurate information. You don't have to go full glass panel. Keep your AS and altimeter but, upgrade everything else before paying to restore old stuff.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced my heading indicator with a newer one from Aircraft Spruce. Specifically, it was a Piper version of the RC Allen Directional Gyro. There were a few snags with this install. Primarily, the instrument is longer than the original DG, so I split the top of the instrument cowling and installed a second layer of aluminum sheet to cover the opening. The second issue was the fact that it requires a filtered air source. This vintage Piper uses a wet vacuum system and none of the other instruments have more than a metal screen covering the inlet. So a filter kit was purchased and installed under the dash. Finally, theDG adjustment knob needed a new opening in the instrument panel and over-lay... I think other than the cowl repair, one couldn’t tell the DG didn’t come in my airplane.
    7614D040-B5CC-4933-82E8-9399F7BF600E.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks steven and tailwind ---

Is there a universally accepted position for the 6-pack instruments ? or is it just personal preference what goes where...
    (im thinking in terms of best/easiest instrument scan pattern --)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by violinmaker View Post

Is there a universally accepted position for the 6-pack instruments ? or is it just personal preference what goes where...
    Installing an instrument such as the Garmin G5 changes the six pack concept. You legally need AS, Alt and compass. The G5 replaces HSI-DG, artificial horizon and VSI (which are not required). Also, it supercedes your compass with a superior compass although, you are required to keep your old crappy compass. I think a three or four pack is the superior way to go. You will have much more data, save weight and panel space.
    Last edited by Stephen; 04-20-2020 at 10:23 AM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by violinmaker View Post

The layout was settled way back around the time of WWII, the idea being that having a standard panel would help in the rapid training of large numbers of pilots.

The basic T has the AI at the centre of the T, ASI to the left of the AI, Altimeter to the right of the AI, DG below the AI.

The VSI and T and B go in the spaces either side of the DG to make a '6 pack'. It's optional which of these two goes where, or even if they need to be installed installed.