Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well I tried to fly today

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Well I tried to fly today

Champions work with std deep socket, the Unison needs deeper socket
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

I had a mag problem once that drove me nuts, couldn't find a thing wrong, checked the plugs, wires, pulled the mag, nothing- then figured out that the wires were backwards on the ignition switch and I was checking the wrong mag the whole time. After that took 5 minutes to find the problem. Sometimes you have to look for the simple stuff.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    I had a mag problem once that drove me nuts, couldn't find a thing wrong, checked the plugs, wires, pulled the mag, nothing- then figured out that the wires were backwards on the ignition switch and I was checking the wrong mag the whole time. After that took 5 minutes to find the problem. Sometimes you have to look for the simple stuff.
    One of those "those that have, & those that are gonna" things. Been there...Wore out the T-shirt!

Post Thanks / Like

I've run into that before so now when doing the mag timing check I make sure the leads are installed correctlly, its easy to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Worst part is I'm the one who originally hooked them up so why would I think they were wrong?
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

I watched an experienced A&P-IA put on two new mags to replace a suspected bad mag on the left side on a C170 and declare both of the mags defective from Slick. At that point I spoke up and politely suggested he was changing the wrong mag. Sure enough, he put the new (defective) mag on the other side and all was good.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 04-29-2020 at 08:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the first things with troubleshooting mags is check the P leads. I’d hate to count the number of times I’ve found them hooked to the wrong mag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Worst part is I'm the one who originally hooked them up so why would I think they were wrong?
    We need a confessional for aviation fubars! Bill Ross always cracks me up with his story of Bubba, Forrest and he changing the jug on a 182!

Post Thanks / Like

I checked the plugs for the left and they looked good. I pulled the screw in plug on both mags and the gear looked good with no missing teeth but left gear turns with hesitation here and there I assume it because of the impulse coupling. I didn't have a tester to make sure my switch is wired correct. It's in line for the shop now..
    Last edited by Flyjeep; 04-29-2020 at 09:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago, had a 160 TriPacer that after some time all of a sudden had mag problems. Pulled the mag, looked at the points and reassembled it. Ground run was fine, flew it around for a while and it started acting up again. Pulled it again, and noted that it slipped a tooth on the distributor gear. Put it back together again, ground run was ok, flew around and same problem. Turns out the bushing that the distributor gear runs in was worn enough to allow the gear to rock and disengage from the drive gear. This was on a Bendix S20 mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk