Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: leaf spring paint/lube

Post Thanks / Like

Default leaf spring paint/lube

Soon I will be doing something to my leaf spring. I guess I will take the leaves apart- strip the old paint--
    figure out what to paint with and think about lube.

I saw on the web there is a product called "slip plate" which is a paintable graphite dry lube. It is carried in some kind of fast evaporating carrier. Dries in such a way as it doesn't come off like grease does. Completely dry when done so it doent attract dirt-water grime...
    Anyone tried that product ?

Other car and heavy truck guys use an adhesive backed thin UHMW tape which allows the springs to slide
    across each other. As this would be visible - and a discreet extra "part" added -- the AI might not like it.

Im thinking of painting the leaves and using the slip plate on them then re-assy...

Would an old fashioned zinc chromate be good for the base paint ? Powder coat ? Epoxy ?

Ideas/comments ?

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: leaf spring paint/lube

I painted mine with the same color coat as the fabric (Stewart Systems). I figured it would be flexible enough to stay with the spring as it flexes. I expect it to rub off between the leafs as they slide across each other, but that's OK with me - figure it will also 'rub off' any rust that might want to form. I really don't think any squeaks will bother me as I just expect to taxi to/from the runway,,, not planning any long cross country taxiing trips. If squeaks do start to bother me I will look into that "slip plate" - sounds good, and my IA is a push over.

I would think powder coating would be somewhat brittle for a spring.
    Last edited by Paul Watts; 04-25-2020 at 09:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by violinmaker View Post
    Soon I will be doing something to my leaf spring. I guess I will take the leaves apart- strip the old paint--
    figure out what to paint with and think about lube.

I saw on the web there is a product called "slip plate" which is a paintable graphite dry lube. It is carried in some kind of fast evaporating carrier. Dries in such a way as it doesn't come off like grease does. Completely dry when done so it doent attract dirt-water grime...
    Anyone tried that product ?

Other car and heavy truck guys use an adhesive backed thin UHMW tape which allows the springs to slide
    across each other. As this would be visible - and a discreet extra "part" added -- the AI might not like it.

Im thinking of painting the leaves and using the slip plate on them then re-assy...…

Would an old fashioned zinc chromate be good for the base paint ? Powder coat ? Epoxy ?

Ideas/comments ?

Tim
    Overkill. Flat black rattle can Rustoleum does the job.

I use Slip Plate on my 31 Ford pickup springs so they won’t squeak. If the TW spring squeaks I can’t hear it.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't thinking about squeaking so much as allowing free movement--- and maybe it not rusting in the interfaces
    because the paint was rubbed off.....

If I have occasion to have the leaves off my f-350---- I will definitely spray them with this stuff---

I grew up restoring cars--- so sometimes I overkill certain things by habit.

Thanks for the thoughts
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I just sprayed my leaf springs with chromate primer, followed by grey primer and gloss black.
    I found some graphite loaded grease at work so put a thin smear of that on the leafs that touch.
    Works fine and you only need to wipe off the grease (once) that oozes out of the sides.
    TonyN