Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rudder Post (Torque Tube) Dimensions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rudder Post (Torque Tube) Dimensions

What are the dimensions of the rudder post on a '57 PA-22 (not to be confused with tail post on the fuselage)? Looking for the inside diameter to sleeve the rudder. Checked drawing 40622 but no dimensions listed.
    Last edited by swhitaker12; 05-03-2020 at 12:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rudder Post (Torque Tube) Dimensions

7/8x.035, it’s on the vagabond CD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Am I reading drawing 40622 wrong? It appears to show the ID of the rudder post as 3/4", the bottom 2" being swaged to .781 / .791 (I didn't find any reference to the OD)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rudder Post (Torque Tube) Dimensions

Just went out to look at my rudder. It is a little oblong at the bottom, most likely to get a good fit for the 1140A rudder arm. The 2 bolts most likely crush it a little when attaching the arm. Nominal Id for the 7/8 .035 tube is .805, so it only gets staged about .010 - .020.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dgapilot; 05-03-2020 at 02:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at the same notation on the drawing where it said the bottom 2 inches were swaged out .010 to make a tight
    fit for the "rudder mast".....
    There is nothing down there except the sleeve where the horn attaches..... what the devil is the "rudder mast" ?????
    Nothing on the drawing is called "rudder mast" ------
    Looks like all you need is an interference fit between the main post and the sleeve that the horn welds to-----
    (maybe put the sleeve on hot while it is expanded--- rock solid tight when cooled-- ??)

what is the "rudder mast" ?????

I would have thought something called a "mast" would be on the top to maybe hold an antenna fitting-----

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Watts View Post
    Am I reading drawing 40622 wrong? It appears to show the ID of the rudder post as 3/4", the bottom 2" being swaged to .781 / .791 (I didn't find any reference to the OD)
    Oops, I guess I WAS reading the drawing wrong! I thought it showed the radius of the rudder post ID to be 3/8" , after looking again, obviously it is showing the little "nib" for attaching a rotating beacon to be offset 3/8" forward from the rudder post... my bad!

I have no documentation to prove this, but I am going to ass-u-me the "rudder mast" is the part of the tailwheel steering fork that sticks (2") up into the "rudder post"