Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strut repair or straightening

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strut repair or straightening

A friend in South Africa is restoring a TriPacer and has noticed this issue with his struts.
    Some don't quite run perfectly true.
    Are they repairable in any way or should they be replaced, which is the easy but not cheap solution?
    They are of the new sealed strut design.
    TonyN
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Strut repair or straightening

Where are they from? Did they come that way?

When I replaced my struts some years back, two of them had been dented & bent in shipment. Seller (Airframes Alaska) promptly sent another pair -- this time crated better. (I still have the 2 damaged ones, as well as my old ones... taking up space, I guess....)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have seen them straightened by supporting the strut just outboard of the bow and pushing by hand. I have also seen the shape flattened. If I were going to attempt it again I would make some wooden blocks the profile of the streamline tube to retain the shape without denting the tubes.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

Thanks.
    The owner bought the TriPacer a few years ago and the parts have been stored while the fuselage and wings were recovered.
    He is sure the struts weren't previously bent like that and wonders if it occurred in storage some how.

I haven't checked but assume replacement TriPacer sealed struts are available from Univair?

TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

Univair has them as well as Airframes Alaska. I got mine from Airframes Alaska and the quality is top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This strut had a slight bow in it. We got it out but took the weight of two people over a 2x4 and we dented it.
    IMG_20200505_091745.jpg
    Need some blocks like this someone made me for the streamline tubing on the landing gear.
    IMG_20200505_092102.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cozzmo81 View Post
    Univair has them as well as Airframes Alaska. I got mine from Airframes Alaska and the quality is top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org
    I bought a set from Univair and the quality is ok but are unpainted (primed only). I'm not sure but I heard the one's you get from Airframes Alaska are painted.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tony,
    If they are Univair there will be a 'U in a circle' stamped into the upper end "ear" near the wing attach bolt-hole.
    I don't know how Alaska Airframes identifies their struts.
    In might even suggest he contact all manufacturers with these fotos, and a measured deviation and location description (ie, "a 1/2" bow ~24" from the upper attach bolt-hole of the forward strut") and ask if there is a spec for such deviations (how far from perfect is OK?), can they be repaired, any advice on best way to correct it, my AI will assist and evaluate/sign-off, etc?

I'm certain Univair, AA and others have heard this issue before and have some reply. He has nothing to lose by asking.

Your friend in South Africa should join this group, as he's likely to need more help as his restoration project continues.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Airframes struts come bare for $2163. Primer is an additional $262 and paint is $436.
    Univair struts come with red oxide primer which I recommend top coating with epoxy primer and are $2241.32

Post Thanks / Like

I had AK Airframes paint mine, and they came out well; when I got them, even with the added painting they were a bit less than Univair's. AK Airframes also uses a powder coat paint, which is pretty darned durable. Mine were all white, and their white color was a good match.

AK Airframes --in my case-- also included new ss bottom forks, in the "new" larger diameter. I believe Univair sells those separately... but not positive about that.

PS -- As you can see, this was in August of 2013, my first "major" purchase for 57A.

DSC04799.JPG
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 05-06-2020 at 05:42 AM.