Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bushwheel Fork and Tail Shimmy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Bushwheel Fork and Tail Shimmy

Would still like to see a picture of the head angle when the aircraft is loaded and level on the ground. The tension on the kingpin has nothing to do with how the tail wheel breaks. Just how much pressure it takes to move the tailwheel. I also don't leave any slop in the tail wheel bearings. I apply a bit of drag.

I would like to see how much slop there is between your fork and the steering arm and post some pictures. When it won't break over easily it is usually slop between the head and the steering arm or the groves are worn where the arm locks.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve I will try to load it up tomorrow and get pics of the Castor Angle. Im going to tighten my kingpin until the fork wont move and then back off 1/2 a turn . I dont have slop but may be a bit loose . I can see how a bit of tightness to the tail wheel bearings could allow for some drag. I have the tire off now and Im putting a new 404 tire on . I spun the old one and had a couple of high spots that make the tire look out of round. Looking at the new tire I can see why. The inner hole of the new tire looks square, not round. Aero Classic. IMG_9816.JPG

A few things I would like to ask you Steve -
    How many springs are you using ? 3 or 5?
    Are you running a Long Pawl or Short Pawl ?
    What air pressure do you run your tire at ?

Im trying to become educated on the Scott 3200 Im not happy when I dont understand how things work so Im absorbing all I can

Kinda enjoy the challenge
    Last edited by sierrasplitter; 05-23-2020 at 12:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    Splitter,
    This site lists dozens of crop dusting services in California.
    http://www.cropdustingservices.com/c..._services.html
    Look for the companies closest to your area and call, ask if they fly tailwheel planes and can they recommend a local shop knowledgeable in tailwheel maintenance.

Good luck,
    GG
    That is worth a try but most agplanes these days have locking tailwheels. He would have to find an operation that flies Piper or Cessna aircraft and they are not near as common as they used to be. Even the AgTrucks came with tailwheel locks although many were not maintained or simply removed.

Tension on the kingpin shouldn’t give more than about 8-15 pounds of resistance to move the tailwheel at the steering arm hole. Anything tighter than that is hiding problems and just makes the airplane hard to move. It doesn’t take much shimmy action to wear parts enough to require replacement. I had one aftermarket assembly on a Cessna 188 come from the factory setup wrong. There weren’t enough shims between the fork and the top bearing. It shimmied and was hard to steer. Almost everything that can cause a shimmy has to do with the caster angle, worn parts, loose components or a bad tire. I have also seen uneven spring tension cause a shimmy as well.

I forgot to mention landing techniques can make a huge difference too. We had one pilot complain about a shimmy on every takeoff and landing. After he left for the season I started flying that airplane and it only shimmied in a strong crosswind IF I didn’t center the rudder before lowering the tailwheel. I flew it almost 100 hours after he left and only shimmied a couple of times.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 05-23-2020 at 09:00 PM.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." - Fred Brooks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have quite a few people send me tailwheels for inspection and repair. I keep most every part in stock so pretty quick turn around. Usually 1-1.5 hour labor.

Post Thanks / Like

I will keep that in mind Steve. I installed a new tire and re- torqued the kingpin. I’m going out today and test at 50 psi. I don’t know if I will lower the air pressure or raise it if it shimmies today . If none of that changes anything I’m getting an A&P here to tear it apart
    I did get 780 pounds in Her. Here is the spring angle when loaded 30400939-DB36-4AF6-AB05-D5325BD02934.jpeg