Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: ACS Ignition Harness for Bendix S4 - thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default ACS Ignition Harness for Bendix S4 - thoughts?

Hi Folks,
    The harness on my 55 PA22-150 with Bendix S4LN-20 mags is getting pretty ugly with age, starting to fray at some of the nuts on the spark plugs. I've been putting off replacing them for a few years but maybe this is the year.
    I saw Aircraft Spruce sells their own branded version, the reviews on their website are mixed (some say upper leads are a bit short for comfortable fit, etc) but comments were somewhat engine/aircraft non-specific.
    Anyone here have experience with these ACS Ignition harnesses on their own Tri-Pacer?
    Hard to beat $173.75, unless they don't fit well or are really crap.
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...dedharness.php
    Pn 12301-22, for 0-320/S4

Suggestions for other sources of reasonably priced harnesses are appreciated.
    My IA is pretty flexible, but probably won't let me build my own and I frankly don't want to.

Thanks, Glen

Sent from my SM-G955U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ACS Ignition Harness for Bendix S4 - thoughts?

I may be wrong, but they are for the old SF4 magneto. Looks like a lunch box with the harness outlets on top.

You can still find new old stock adapters that will convert to the 20 series, unless you already have them but that will have an added cost to the low ACS price.

Typically the SF4 was used in unshielded applications and used a stranded center conductor. You may experience some radio noise.

Todd
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Reading through the product description it looks like they will set the leads up how you want but not provide the back plate for the S4. Down at the bottom it says “experimental”.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." - Fred Brooks

Post Thanks / Like

I bought and installed the Kelly Ignition harness about 5 years ago. It fit my O-235 perfectly, has never given me any problems, and looks spiffy. Highly recommended. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...e_08-13344.php
    Harold Kroeker
    PA-16 Clipper CF-PJB

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the Kelly harness. I installed one on my Wagabond last fall. Spruce has them in stock as well Use this chart to find the P/N that you need: http://kellyaerospace.com/wp-content...pplication.pdf
    Tom P.
    Wagabond @ 08A

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks folks, I guess this is not the harness for me!
    I'll look at the Kelly Aerospace harness, I think my hangar mate, coincidentally named Kelly, has that on his Tri-Pacer!
    Happy Mother's Day,
    Glen

Sent from my SM-G955U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"