Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: PA-22 Chin scoop baffle seal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-22 Chin scoop baffle seal

Here's is how our five PA22s are set up:
    Pilot side inboard lower muffler out to upper cabin heat box (the very worst thing to install on a Pacer.
    Pax side lower muffler to lower cabin heat box.
    Exhaust header bottom muff to carb heat box.
    Right outboard upper baffle to top of header muff; Right inboard upper baffle to muffler shroud upper (nearest rt mag & vac pump.)
    Sugar scoop to pilot side outboard lower muffler. 20200518_160244.jpeg20200518_160153.jpeg20200518_160141.jpeg20200518_160058.jpeg20200518_160016.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the lower air dam with silicone baffle material sandwiched between original part and my doubler, and a bunch of pop rivets.
    And the carb air inlet scoop.
    MY APOLOGIES, upon close inspection I did sandwich the scoop between the Brackett housing and airbox flange. And I think I had to assemble them on the bench and then reattach the whole mess to the bottom of the carb.
    It's almost like installing and certifying a nose wheel was a parade of "Oh crap, how do we make that fit?" and "Oh crap, the CAA says we gotta add this thing."
    1589843750852.jpeg1589843878049.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Last edited by Glen Geller; 05-18-2020 at 06:24 PM.
    Glen Geller

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Yes, YES!! I can now see that there HAS to be a hole --where the stub USED to be-- on the far left edge of my muffler shroud, right where that $#$%!# patch is. Mystery solved... for now. Have no idea why that was eliminated, but it'll be coming back real soon! Then I can hook up a scat tube from there to that 2" elbow in the chin scoop.... and.. maybe, THEN I can gat some heat!

Thank you ALL for your help! I will post progress later; right now I'm still trying to finish up the baffle seals.

Here's what my final iteration looks like for the chin scoop baffle; tested one side and it seemed to fit well, so I duplicated that for the other side. The straight piece across the front I had already tested -- OK on that one, too.

DSC08539.jpg DSC08540.jpg DSC08541.jpg DSC08542.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: PA-22 Chin scoop baffle seal

[QUOTE=walt.buskey;124457]
    Here's what my final iteration looks like for the chin scoop baffle; tested one side and it seemed to fit well, so I duplicated that for the other side. The straight piece across the front I had already tested -- OK on that one, too.

That lower air dam looks good, Walt!

On my muffler shroud, the duct that is missing on yours was about 50% fallen off when I bought my plane. My IA at the time replaced the loose original rivets with steel cherrymax rivets and it's been good for 15 years. It was tricky to do it in place but not impossible if you have a short/90 deg drill to get the rivets out. Then split the shroud and retrieve the bits from inside with a grabber, vacuum or magnet.

Not sure where you are going to find that scat adaptor to install in place of patch - maybe someone has an old shroud and can do you a solid, or Atlee-Dodge or other aircraft exhaust company can help.

GG
    Glen Geller

Post Thanks / Like

seems like ACS might have something in that category, just a question of it will be the right size.
    Also might not be curved enough to fit the shroud but worth a look.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

57A's on the back burner for a few days while I get some house stuff done, but I did notice that on my muffler shroud all the scat tube stubs are steel (rusty), mounted to a curved steel plate (also showing surface rust), and riveted onto the shroud. I should think it would be easy enough to fabricate a stub for that position where mine is missing.

I see where Univair does sell the shroud, but I'd rather not give them $635 for it if I can avoid that.... (Looks like the scat tube adapters that ACS has are all aluminum and mounted to flat plates.)

Post Thanks / Like

For those who might be interested -- I just received my $200 brandy-new Univair special... air scoop. Here are some decent pics of the offending -- I mean missing-- part:

DSC08546.jpg DSC08543.jpgDSC08545.jpg

Andy, I'll take this down to the plane and fiddle with it to see how it fits; if it looks good and yours is the same (?) I'll PM you -- if yours is still available.

Now, back to the springtime house chores!

Walt

Post Thanks / Like

57A update.... At long last, upper baffle seals are all done.... so now I get to remove everything and begin work on the bottom baffles/seals/scoop thing. Not the prettiest job, but it appears everything seals up well, a far different story than when I got 57A.

Will update periodically. Thanks again to ALL who helped me avoid pitfalls and correct boo-boos along the way! (In the air this summer!!)

Walt

DSC08595.jpg DSC08574.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    For those who might be interested -- I just received my $200 brandy-new Univair special... air scoop. Here are some decent pics of the offending -- I mean missing-- part:

ATTACH=CONFIG]17143[/ATTACH]
    Those rivets on the inside, esp near the area where the Univair $195 logo is, will interfere with the fit over you Brackett Air Filter housing.
    On the several we installed on our local planes, we drilled out the rivets and installed flush rivets from the inside.
    In fact, we removed all three rivets on each side and put the two side panels on the OUTSIDE of the center part to allow a better fit.
    And we painted the thing black on the outside to match the carb air box.

Get a cushion for your work chair, that scoop is a PITA...

GG
    Glen Geller

Post Thanks / Like

I can believe it, Glen! Took off all the cowl pieces today and poked around in there, trial-fitting (right) that scoop. Looks like --so far-- it will fit, but it almost looks like the carb will have to be dropped to get it in there!

In the meantime, here's Steve's "smoking gun"; yep, there was a nice, round hole under that patch on my muffler shroud. Looks like it really got butchered in removing the OEM scat tube stub that used to be there judging by the torn-up, roughly 3/8" dia. holes....

Have no idea why that was done, but it sure would have been nice to figure that all out while I was waiting for Dawley to repair my muffler and that shroud was being kicked around the floor (not really, but you know what I mean).... Ain't hindsight great??

DSC08600.jpg DSC08601.jpg