Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to change "O" rings on Cleveland 10-54 master cylinders.

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to change "O" rings on Cleveland 10-54 master cylinders.

Ok, my 54 PA 22/20 is leaking a little hyd fluid from the shaft so I'm needing to change out the "O" rings. Brake cylinders are Cleveland 10-54's. I am hoping I can changed out the rings without removing the cylinders or disconnecting the fluid lines... Dont wanna get into bleeding brakes... Can anyone help guide me on this?
    Thanks as always, Gary.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to change "O" rings on Cleveland 10-54 master cylinders.

This is considered overhaul territory by an A&P/certified repair shop, not something done by the aircraft owner.
    Requires disassembly and assembly using a repair manual/proper tools and then re-bleeding the brakes. Looking for shortcuts leads to accidents reports!
    Honesty is the best policy! Also, much safer in today's environment.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

There's probably some happy ground between both your thinkings, but you're both thoughtful enough to do the job right. Not expecting to bleed the brakes after changing O rings is a tell that perhaps you should consider having someone familiar with systems oversee what you're considering doing. There may be a reason it's leaking or wearing out your O ring you may miss and then just fix a symptom. Usually when you're in there you might consider honing to clean without getting carried away and ruining your cylinder, and maybe be able to see if changing the fluid would be prudent. Sooner or later someone will read your request here and hopefully take you under their wing, with the knowledge of your specifics, and help you to a satisfactory conclusion.

Post Thanks / Like

I rebuilt/replaced the entire brake system on my cub it is not a hard job. However, I did have my IA's oversight on the process. As Jim pointed out you will have to bleed the system. Get some oversight and get er done. Understanding how systems in the aircraft work only makes you a better pilot.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If it is just coming out of the shaft remove the cap, I believe that model has a snap ring. You will have to remove the rod end, count the number of turns to keep your rigging. Slide the top off the shaft and replace the o'ring inside the top. Easy and don't have to remove the cylinder or break open the system so no bleeding needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Steve,

Once again I wrote about something I don't know. I can't imagine a seal that leaks fluid that would be fixable without tthe possibility to introduce air during a fix.

If we cross trails at OSH, I'll see if you can explain that one to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It sticks out the top of the cylinder and connects to the pedal. See you shortly.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep the cylinder already as air in part of it. Since the cylinders on a Bonanza are real hard to remove I just pull out the piston and replace "O' Rings. Unlike the Pacer, Bonanza brakes are simple to bleed if needed.

Post Thanks / Like

I changed my "o" rings with my A&P/IA's blessing & sign-off. This is what I did:

Piper Master Cylinder.pdf
    mastercyl1.pdf
    mastercyl2.pdf
    mastercyl3.pdf

Of course, me wadded up under that dash reminded me of that old saying about monkeys and footballs... Luck - Dwain
    Last edited by Dwain; 07-22-2016 at 10:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dwain View Post
    I changed my "o" rings with my A&P/IA's blessing & sign-off. This is what I did:

Piper Master Cylinder.pdf
    mastercyl1.pdf
    mastercyl2.pdf
    mastercyl3.pdf

Of course, me wadded up under that dash reminded me of that old saying about monkeys and footballs... Luck - Dwain
    Any updates to this old thread? I have four leaking master cylinders to re-ring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member