Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Citabria Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Citabria Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    ......... It appears only conventional gear planes can make the switch.
    Good point. I wonder if the Citabria exhaust would fit on a Tri Pacer? Cowling clearance might be difficult. Approval would be interesting, I would use data from Citabria and make a case about improved safety.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coupe View Post
    Amazing ask about an option on exhaust and get slammed right off the bat.

Glad I spent money for such a warm welcome Thanks
    I didn’t mean to slam you. I assumed, wrongly, that like me you were agonizing over the Sutton exhaust decision because of your question concerning the exhaust pipe. “ One advantage for myself would be no pipe sticking out at front.”
    My explanation was meant to temper those concerns as I had those concerns which delayed my decision to install the Sutton.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 05-24-2020 at 12:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Good point. I wonder if the Citabria exhaust would fit on a Tri Pacer? Cowling clearance might be difficult. Approval would be interesting, I would use data from Citabria and make a case about improved safety.
    Or, for that matter, what do some of the RV's with nosewheels and O-320's in them do? Perhaps their nosewheel support structure is significantly different...Anyway, I'm always interested in things that reduce weight, make work easier, lower my recurring costs, and perhaps improve horsepower output? I would prefer to keep my nosewheel tho'. Is the real issue with the PA22 muffler design that it pumps exhaust in to both sides of the muffler? What causes it to breakdown so quickly that the FAA mandates such frequent inspection? After some more research it seems there are a couple issues with it - leaking CO into the cabin via the heater ducts, and - being located close to the firewall where summertime heating of the cabin to uncomfortable levels is bothersome and also, close enough to start fires in oil soaked fiberglass insulation under the firewall? The latter being part of another AD that says you have to pull the belly panel to inspect that insulation. Do I have this right? If so, I'd like to kill two birds...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Stephen, It might be the Citabria (Airbatic backward) may be prone to cracking their exhaust because of the way they are flown. Lots of 3D g-loadings on an under-designed or overstressed part of the exhaust system? Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Or, for that matter, what do some of the RV's with nosewheels and O-320's in them do? Perhaps their nosewheel support structure is significantly different...Anyway, I'm always interested in things that reduce weight, make work easier, lower my recurring costs, and perhaps improve horsepower output? I would prefer to keep my nosewheel tho'. Is the real issue with the PA22 muffler design that it pumps exhaust in to both sides of the muffler? What causes it to breakdown so quickly that the FAA mandates such frequent inspection? After some more research it seems there are a couple issues with it - leaking CO into the cabin via the heater ducts, and - being located close to the firewall where summertime heating of the cabin to uncomfortable levels is bothersome and also, close enough to start fires in oil soaked fiberglass insulation under the firewall? The latter being part of another AD that says you have to pull the belly panel to inspect that insulation. Do I have this right? If so, I'd like to kill two birds...
    The primary problem is if the baffles crack and liberate pieces, those pieces can work their way to block your exhaust pipe and kill the engine. The exhaust pipe bale helps prevent that. CO can also be a problem from the shell developing pin holes and leaking CO into the plenum around the muffler and into the cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I didn’t mean to slam you. I assumed, wrongly, that like me you were agonizing over the Sutton exhaust decision because of your question concerning the exhaust pipe. “ One advantage for myself would be no pipe sticking out at front.”
    My explanation was meant to temper those concerns as I had those concerns which delayed my decision to install the Sutton.
    Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.

I certainly took your reply the wrong way.

But I wondered about the fact that you too may have struggled with the idea of the Sutton installation and thought that may have been what you were trying to convey.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't like the front exhaust pipe of the Sutton, you could look at the LEEs/Powerflow exhaust, the tailpipe is in the standard firewall location. (Powerflow bought LEEs some time ago.)
    My hangar mate put one on his PA22 Super Caribbean (long story) and although there were challenges with the tailpipe and the nosewheel frame 7 steering rods, it would be a relatively easy affair in a PA20 (o 22/20.)
    Their website is a bit confusing, as in the PA22 section all the links go to the Husky section.
    https://sites.google.com/powerflowsy.../piper-pa-2022
    "Bolt-On Horsepower. Complete replacement of your exhaust system. FAA approved by STC and for all PA-20/22 150/160/180 HP"
    And the STC for PA22 is held by a third party:
    "KW Aviation has an STC approval for installing LEE’s Exhaust Systems on Piper PA 20/22 150,160 and 180 HP models. For more information contact Wayne Law at 801-920-4518."

But the product was very nice and it give my pal's plane a good boost, and weighs a few pounds less.
    I would make phone calls and ask about it.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

I have been flying with my Sutton exhaust since April 2007 and have about 1,400 hours on it. Yes, the exhaust pipe is a little bulky coming out of the bottom cowling, but the exhaust is very compact with very short pipes from the cylinder heads into the muffler and then just the straight big tailpipe going through the cowling the shortest way. Of course it doesn't work on Tri-Pacers.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

First, count me as another Sutton owner/supporter. At the time I did mine it only cost me about $300 more to install than buying a brand new AD equipped Piper original.

Second, this conversation is the bad part of the internet, inflection and intent are lost. Good to see you didn’t give up on us right then. The only reason my ShortWing is airworthy is this website and the SWPC CDs.
    (Photo by my wife last Christmas Day.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    My hangar mate put one on his PA22 Super Caribbean (long story) and although there were challenges with the tailpipe and the nosewheel frame 7 steering rods, it would be a relatively easy affair in a PA20 (o 22/20.)
    Any chance your hangar mate has a few pics of the Super Caribbean with LEE's exhaust he might share with the group? I'm intrigued by the name and the exhaust. Thanks.