Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crankshaft AD and viable engine cores-

Post Thanks / Like

Default crankshaft AD and viable engine cores-

The crankshaft AD would seem to be bad news for anyone looking for a serviceable engine core ---
    (IE good crank and case)

Am I right in guessing that if you found an older core which was produced before the start date listed
    on the AD - then that engine would not be an automatic crank fail ? (just require normal inspection to get
    tagged as serviceable-- if it passes or can be reworked to pass )

What strategy is everyone using when core hunting ?

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: crankshaft AD and viable engine cores-

Quote Originally Posted by violinmaker View Post
    The crankshaft AD would seem to be bad news for anyone looking for a serviceable engine core ---
    (IE good crank and case)

Am I right in guessing that if you found an older core which was produced before the start date listed
    on the AD - then that engine would not be an automatic crank fail ? (just require normal inspection to get
    tagged as serviceable-- if it passes or can be reworked to pass )

What strategy is everyone using when core hunting ?

Tim
    Hey Tim, which AD are you talking about?

Post Thanks / Like

was thinking of the condemnation of most of the non-var crankshaft which Lycoming asked the FAA to make an AD
    even though the var and non-var cranks had about the same failure rate. I think it started out as SB 566 and was modded about a dozen times and expanded each time---- I think it affected many o-320, 360 and 540 engines's cranks which did not have a vacuum arc remelt produced crankshaft. It sounded like Lyc. just did it as a political/lawyer CYA when there was no significant evidence when looking at the failure rates... but FAA went along with it anyway. I think AOPA has fought it but not helped much.

My impression is that there are LOTS of cores that might be useable (meaning overhaulable) but that they may have a crank
    that would be possibly also overhaulable except for this AD.

Looks like a real mess---- I jus wondered if there was a best course to plaot when hunting for a good core to overhaul ?
    Do you look for one that has a crank produced before the AD's start dates ? Do you just have to buy a new crank if you
    get a core that is within the effective dates/models ? Wondering why the core prices do not seem to reflect that ……..

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default crankshaft AD and viable engine cores-

Edit:

As I was researching and writing the below comment, Tim (violinmaker) posted what he was looking at and it does not pertain to what I wrote.. still going to leave it as a “food for thought” comment..

Brian

I am going to assume AD 98-02-08 pertaining to the ID bore inspection following SB 505 B.

Problem with this AD is it specifies in the applicability portion that it is for 0-320 limited to 160 HP and all 0-360... the SB is for all 0-320 and 0-360 no matter what Horsepower rating... this will confuse a lot of people.. The reality is, if you have a 150 HP Lycoming and are flying part 91 then the AD does not apply to your aircraft.. if you fly part 135 the AD still does not apply BUT the SB does because all mandatory SB’s have to be followed when using an aircraft for hire so you will need to follow the SB..

On the flip side of this is if you send out your crankshaft for overhaul the overhaul shop will follow the SB no matter what the HP rating is..

Hope this helps..

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stevesaircraft(Bri); 05-24-2020 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Different information

Post Thanks / Like

The only 4 cylinders it applies to are the counterweighted ones.

Post Thanks / Like

It appears that SB 566 suplement 1 only applies to O-360 series

copy and pasted the about half of first page but it will take some detailed reading because it does not copy and paste like I hoped.

MANDATORYSERVICE BULLETIN652 Oliver Street Williamsport, PA 17701 U.S.A.Tel. 570-323-6181 Fax. 570-327-7101 www.lycoming.textron.com November 30, 2005 Supplement No. 1 To Service Bulletin No. 566 SUBJECT: Crankshaft Replacement in Lycoming Engines MODELS AFFECTED: Any Lycoming engine model specified below manufactured, rebuilt, overhauled or repaired after March 1, 1999: Lycoming counterweighted (L)O-360, (L)IO-360 and AEIO-360 engines rated at any horsepower as listed in Table 1. Any overhauled or repaired Lycoming counterweighted (L)O-360, (L)IO-360 or AEIO-360 engine that has had a crankshaft replaced after March 1, 1999 with a crankshaft serial number listed in Table 2. Lycoming crankshafts with a crankshaft serial number listed in Table 2 shipped as a spare after March 1, 1999. These crankshafts may be installed in any of the engine models listed above. TIME OF COMPLIANCE: Within next 50 hours of operation or .......
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Also note that it only applied to engines (therefor crankshafts) built after March 1999. There’s lots of older engines out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

That helps -- just look for pre 99 !

Post Thanks / Like

Hum, I was just introduced to SB-505, as I purchased a propeller strike O-320 E2A with a STC for the 160hp 8.5:1 pistons. I did some googling and didn’t see any thing that limited the Air-melt crankshafts that would be subject to this SB. It seems to state it applies to all O-320’s regardless of production date. Where am I mis-reading this? I’m really curious as if it doesn’t apply I’d like to have incontrovertible proof. Thank you,

-Alana

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the SB 566 applies to counter weighted O-360s & O-540s and spare new cranks delivered after 1 Mar 2005. One can assume by July 2005 they weren’t still shipping affected cranks.

And here is SB 505 it applies to fixed pitch only. Constant Speed prop cranks do not apply
    Last edited by 51-pa22; 08-02-2020 at 02:54 AM.