Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Fiber Glare Shield

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Carbon Fiber Glare Shield

EE8960D2-39BE-4ED5-9BCD-865A5FEECEB1.jpeg
    My prototype composite glare shield. 1959 Caribbean

New at this list.
    Oneskydog

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Show Us Your Panel! (Pictures)

I like that glare shield! Nice work! Kerdex? I want to do something with mine eventually. It’s carpet. I hate carpet and would love to drop weight in every area I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Carbon Fiber Glare Shield

Quote Originally Posted by OneSkyDog View Post

New at this list.
    Oneskydog
    The glare shield is a laminate of: carbon cloth / foam core inserts on flats / carbon cloth / fiberglass cloth. Hand laid up and vacuum bagged to remove excess epoxy. It is coated with a satin UV resistant finish. It weighs around 320 grams. The original had warps and cracks and someone had done a boat resin glass layer partially stuck underneath it and some riveted on aluminum stiffners around the compass it maxes out my 500 g scale. I could not find a replacement part and hated the original deteriorated part.

i am new to Tri-Pacer’s but reading another thread “58” to the end of Tri-Pacers and Colts had the same hump dimensions but I do not know. I handcrafted a plug and it is not dimensionally Piper but a close approximation. The female mold off the plug produced my glare shield that is lighter and stiffer than the original and fits my late “59” Caribbean. I spent a lot of time and money to make this happen as an owner produced part for my airplane according to the FAR’s as I read them.

OneSkyDog

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You did a great job with that glare shield. Any interest in making a few for profit?

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Greg,

Thanks for the compliment. As making a few for profit, I am not sure.

i am retired but worked as an advanced composites manufacturing engineer. I also have dealt with the FAA and know a little about Parts Manufacturing Authority requirements. I know I can make a part for my plane but I cannot make and represent it as a Piper replacement part.

i need to do more research on owner specified and commissioned replacement parts. I may be able to create traceable paperwork To describe the part and Manufacture to order. These would be produced using aerospace vacuum bagging methods which are not cheap to do. I saw someone did a molded thermoplastic glare shield under the table where he worked for a while but his mold broke or something. It appeared they were no longer available.

i have a repair project I am starting in a couple of weeks that will take all my time until the fall. By then I will know if I can in accordance with the FAA regulations sell a replacement part for a certificated airplane and do a cost analysis to determine a price. Retired with full schedule of flying and building airplanes.

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

You could make one as owner produced part. At minimum would take a signed document from end user indicating the part was his idea and you made it to his specifications.
    Airforms inc of Wasilla AK makes the baffles we used on my Pacer during restoration. Because we installed an O-360 the standard set of baffles for a certified aircraft where for the O-320, they made the parts we needed for the O-360 as owner produced and sent me a form letter that I signed to make the part mine.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OneSkyDog View Post

New at this list.
    Oneskydog

Sure like the looks of that glare shield!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bronco,

Here is another picture of the prototype, the white spots are the color of the epoxy I had on hand that had a higher heat distortion temperature. I will be testing it this summer in the heat, in the fall I will be free to pick up on this project.

CF8AF30E-2655-45A5-A9A5-8E5FBA352075.jpeg

and the original

F5D32110-54AA-4D56-971B-3C511694CCB4.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    VERY nice! Looks like that might fit my '56 T-P....? Any data on what that will fit? Weight savings?
    1956 thru 1964 PA22 (150hp, 160hp, 108hp) are all the same panel top hump shape, and should mount the same way.
    1951 thru 1955 were the low panel without the hump.

280 grams would be 10 oz (28g/oz).

That sure is a nice looking glareshield and panel.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Glen....Really nice looking replacement panel, be proud!
    Forrest Miller