Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 20 Amp Generator Lifespan?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 20 Amp Generator Lifespan?

How many hours should one expect to get out of an overhauled stock PA22 generator? Brushes and bearings or bushings all needed at the same time, or does one component wear out before others? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 20 Amp Generator Lifespan?

Surprised your not getting any answers to this.....I haven't got a clue how long things should last. I took mine apart last year to have a look at the brushes and it looks like new inside. I would think that the brushes would be the part that would wear out first, but I don't know how long they last.

Maybe someone in the know will answer.....
    Forrest Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have them rebuilt at engine overhaul.

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is that they are 1950s technology. I remember spending “quality” time with my dad going to “you pull” junk yards as a kid getting generators and starters all the time. Seems they didn’t last very long in the car. Can’t imagine they Last long in the airplane. When I had my TriPacer, I remember bringing the generator to the auto electric place at least once for new brushes and bearings. Had to replace the regulator once as well. I put about 600 hours on the airplane over about a 5 year period.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk