Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Aileron Fairleads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aileron Fairleads

Went to change out the aileron balance cable that runs through the cabin of my PA-22. Simple 5-foot run of cable, right? But, I didn't notice the fairleads on the left and right side of the cabin, not easily accessible from either side. Can't decide whether to go in from the inside (take apart headliner), outside (cut through side fabric), or cut through the roof.

Anyone go through this? Is this one of those "gotta tear it all apart so might as well do all the cables"? Maybe do the sunroof mod while I'm at it ;-).

Regards,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Aileron Fairleads

Make the cable on the airplane? Cut one nicropress off and pull the cable through the fair leads size to length and swedge the other end.

Post Thanks / Like

Huh, hadn't thought of that. Wouldn't I lose too much cable and end up with an overextended turnbuckle?

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I think you misunderstood what Steve said. Cut the cable to a length that once the second thimble and incompressible is installed, it will be the same length as original. The cable lengths are on one of the drawings on the CD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, guess I forgot to mention I’m using a premade cable. Just gonna go in with the knife!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to reach the fairleads after removing the wing fairings and/or unzipping the headliner. You my need to cut away some fabric on the outside of the cabin to reach the fairleads. Once you remove the fairleads you'll be able to slip the premade cable through. This is the hard way. If you have access to a nicropress, making the cable as Steve says is easier.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I think I will have to go the DIY route. Haven’t made a cable since A&P school but staring at these fair leads through a 1-inch hole is giving me a headache. Might as well make all the cables while I’m at it.

Chris