Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Stalls

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stalls

I am a new student pilot and have a PA-22-150 i am learning in, I need someone to tell me about turning stalls in the tripacer. I have done power on and power off but no turning stalls yet. What should i expect?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stalls

I'm not a CFI - If you don't care about that, read on.

I have a PA22-150 too. Turning stalls are only slightly different than straight ahead stalls. Start at 3,000 to 4,000 feet or lower if you're confident in yourself and your plane. I like at least 2,500 feet personally. Pull power, slow down - in the white arc - full flaps, trim aft-nose up, let it slow down. Pull up on the yoke, add power, don't descend - hold altitude and attitude and fly the plane - stay in it - do it slowly - keep pulling power and pulling aft on the yolk as you turn and just stay with it. Think through your feet and hands. Just stay in it. It'll break somewhere around 45 to 47 mph as you slow. Feel the lift the plane is giving you and be crisp on your toes and hold power and pitch attitude - hand on throttle...

Stand it on its tail, turning, and at some point with more pitch and more aileron it will break - a little more pronounced than straight ahead stall. Remember to turn very slowly with grace and precision and keep power until it breaks the way your turning. It's forgiving and responsive so just plan on that. It's like a big old slow parachute. Hand on power and when it breaks, -- what's your definition? Mine is VSI indicating 500 fpm down or a wing drop with nose heading down.

This plane is not like a Cessna 172 which feels pretty heavy to me. It just lays down softly. - glance at your VSI - 500 fpm down and you should be initiating recovery! So just keep flying the plane and do your recovery. Add power - good climb - release flaps slowly, continue climb.

It won't rotate into the turn or away as you lose wing lift before you lose rudder and aileron in my experience. You have to want to drive it right or left as you stall it to see the effect. Drop the nose smoothly, add power smoothly (2 seconds to full power) fly away.

Just keep looking at your outside horizon (real) not at the instruments. Geez, I'm going to go up and do this tomorrow. This plane is Very Forgiving. Have fun. Others here may have more comments for you.

Oh, and everything I've said here is personal opinion as I am NOT a CFI. Only recently certified pilot. Take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Subsonic; 06-02-2020 at 11:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are referring to an accelerated stall. Your out looking around and yanking and banking and next thing you know your upside down and headed to the ground. The better known stall that gets people is the "moose hunter" stall. Basically an accelerated stall but its uncoordinated. Neither of these can happen without you pulling back on the stick or yolk fairly aggressively and you will be feeling some g's in your butt. In an accelerated stall you can expect the buffet or shudder just before it quits flying and you will have that brief moment to level wings and drop the nose and fly right out of it. You do the same thing uncoordinated and you are looking at a much more aggressive stall that usually has a snap to it and at least a half to full turn rotation. The take away, keep that ball centered and maintain coordinated flight especially in steep turns low to the ground.

Find an instructor that will go through these with you and hammer them into you. I was fortunate enough to have a grizzled old crusty guy for my initial instructor who knew the type of flying I wanted to do and he hammered the hell out of me on things that had caused him to bury friends in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably a question you should be discussing with your instructor...

Post Thanks / Like

I was required to do an accelerated maneuver during my check ride (40 years ago)...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cacctus View Post
    I was required to do an accelerated maneuver during my check ride (40 years ago)...
    Same here. Unfortunately, my instructor failed to teach them to me. The examiner showed one to me. I repeated it and passed. I occasionally get an instructor ask me to demonstrate an accelerated stall during my biannual review. I think they are valuable to practice.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree! I was lucky enough to be taught by a ...well, let's just say he was as old then as I am now! He absolutely beat those stalls into me! When my son became ready to take instruction from someone other than me, I searched out another "elderly instructor" to give him lessons...but I still had to be the one to teach him about accelerated maneuver stalls.

Post Thanks / Like

My primary instructor took me through the turning stall series. No instructor, young or seasoned, I have had since 1993 has mentioned them. It’s kind of funny because the only inadvertent stalls I have had in 4000 hours of single engine flying have been in the turns. I had about 3000 hours when I did the last one.

Post Thanks / Like

We did turning stalls more than any other kind of stall. Slow turning stalls, high G turning stalls and climbing turning stalls.

Post Thanks / Like

All those things that happen way too often in the pattern...