Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Tail Feathers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tail Feathers

I have a extra set of tail feather for my PA-22-150 and I am recovering them. I am looking for recommendations for where I should apply chaff tape before covering my horizontal stabs. Also what about stitching?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tail Feathers

If you have the drawing CD, I believe there is a drawing for that. Drawing 12648

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dgapilot; 06-07-2020 at 02:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tail Feathers

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    If you have the drawing CD, I believe there is a drawing for that. Drawing 12648

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup found it, and it tells where the lacing goes but doesn't mention chaff tape, I don't think. I will look again. Also calls for fabric disc over the lacing and i assume i can use full length tapes.

Thank you !!

Post Thanks / Like

The more tape, the more weight you add.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Using small patches is the easiest method.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I dont remember needing chafe on the tail surfaces. I would recommend gluing a strip of fabric around the little reinforcement wires at the tips (a picture would explain this so easily) and the trailing edge tube (leading edge tube on the front of counterbalance). This prevents the wire from vibrating and breaking leaving the loose end to rattle against the fabric.
    Glue one end of the fabric to the tube, wrap it over the wire and glue the other end to itself where its glued to tube. Heat shrink just enough to put the slightest bit of tension on it.
    I've seen chafe tape used for this but it winds up drying out, breaking and then the wire is left to vibrate and break.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    I dont remember needing chafe on the tail surfaces. I would recommend gluing a strip of fabric around the little reinforcement wires at the tips (a picture would explain this so easily) and the trailing edge tube (leading edge tube on the front of counterbalance). This prevents the wire from vibrating and breaking leaving the loose end to rattle against the fabric.
    Glue one end of the fabric to the tube, wrap it over the wire and glue the other end to itself where its glued to tube. Heat shrink just enough to put the slightest bit of tension on it.
    I've seen chafe tape used for this but it winds up drying out, breaking and then the wire is left to vibrate and break.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Correct. Piper used masking tape and it is shown on the drawing. A 1" strip of fabric tape glued and shrunk will last a lifetime and put the proper tension on the wire so it doesn't vibrate and crack at the weld. I know of no other places that need anti-chafe protection. I like 2" tapes vs the dollar patches because over time the fabric drums and paint tends to crack over the ribs. The full tape adds reinforcement to help eliminate the cracking issue.