Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory Metal Covered?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Factory Metal Covered?

Had a buddy go look at a PA22/20-160 for sale and it has been metalized (recovered). The owner claims it came from the factory that way as a tri-pacer, but I was unaware of any way to do that other than an STC. I Know Metalization was offered from the factory as an anti-corrosion option for the fuselage if it was to be operated in damp climate ie)on floats.

Anyone ever hear of factory metal covering?

Cheers,
    Pat
    C-FMLJ PA22/20-180

Sent from my SM-G973W using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Factory Metal Covered?

Pat, that's news to me.
    I wonder if a search of it's history and logs would support that claim.
    Having the n-number (or Canadian registration) and serial number might be useful.
    And contact Clyde Smith "The Cub Doctor" as he has the most extensive fabric piper database and history anywhere.
    https://www.cubdoctor.com/

Let us know what you find out!

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of any metalized from the factory. Most were done by Skycraft, I think they were somewhere around Philidelphia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Look in the airframe logs.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I saw the ad on Facebook and told the owner I had never heard of Piper covering a Tri-Pacer in aluminum. One of their engineers did the conversion at his farm close by. If it was done at the factory there would be drawings, paperwork and listed on the TCDS I would think.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 metalized PA 20. Both were done by Al Snyder at Skycraft originally just south of Philadelphia in NJ. Both were fuselage and wings but some were one or the other. He also did Cessna 120 and 130 wings. There are some other STCs but he did the most of them. I don't know of any from the factory. One was done in 67 and one in 72. The 72 was one of the last as my father in law had to talk him into doing it. After that he moved to NH and repaired Cherokee gas tanks for a few decades. I spoke with him several times in the 80s and 90s. A true gentleman and helpful. The metalization only added 20 lbs but makes the plane fly a lot better. This is kind of a Chevy vs Ford truck thing, but for me I have both a fabric PA 22 and the Pacers and I like the metal even if it is a sacrilege.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

The PA-22-160 I had gained 34 lbs when it was metalized. Never really noticed any difference in flight characteristics between metalized or fabric. Always thought the metalized fuselage was pretty ugly compared to a fabric fuselage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Have never been close up to examine a metal covered PA-22 series, I would assume access to wing for work and inspection is similar to the fabric covered but curious how much the access to the fuselage is different. I guess primarily back in the tail area, ie trim system inspect, clean lube??
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

The guy in the next hangar to me has a metalized Clipper. Other than the higher rounded back it doesn't look bad. I was surprised when he got it not being as ugly as I expected. I don't know about it's performance. If it were mine I would spray Corrsion X inside the wings and fuselage.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

As I recall, prior to installing the sheet metal, the tubing had a spray metalizing applied to the tubing.
    Not sure what material, but I think it was zinc.

I think it may have been used on the seaplane tubing as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk