Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Cylinder Head Temp Variation - comments appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cylinder Head Temp Variation - comments appreciated

I used duct tape when troubleshooting high oil temp on a new engine install on a Super Cub and never got the vibration you talk about. Was good for testing the pressure differentil when trying to identify the problem. Lots of testing and pictures in this thread. I learned a lot. https://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...ure-Experience
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 08-05-2020 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Wrong link

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akflyer View Post
    I put the EDM 350 in mine and now I am going down this rabbit hole. I had a gut feeling my CHTs were more than I wanted and I was right. I could bust 450 real easy on a climb on #3 and have been doing so for the last year I got to looking at the baffle seals and they were / are in poor shape at best with some pretty large gaps between the baffles and cowling. I want to order the McFarlane cowl saver seals. How many feet do I need to order. I am 700 miles away from the plane right now but want to have them waiting for me when I get back home in 2 weeks.

I did do a little testing with some gorilla tape and got the temps where they needed to be. The biggest improvement was sealing off the large gap between the intake filter and lower cowling as it had a rather LARGE gap around it. Sealing up the baffles helped but not as much as getting the lower cowl sealed up.
    Interesting. I've always been concerned/interested in the gap around our brackett air filter and the lower cowling. We don't have any seal there and there's a fairly huge gap all around it. We don't have a CHT gauge of any sort and so my only reference is our oil temp and we always run on the low side. Usually seeing a high of 200-210 in cruise and maybe 220 in climb. We are also using the chin mounted original oil cooler. We recently changed out the felt gap seals for the silicone that I'm sure sealed a lot better around the upper cowling.

In our case, at least at this time, if it ain't broke.... However, we are looking at changing the 135hp to a 150hp so I'm guessing that will be part of that change.

SDC10737.JPG
    “Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.”
    ― Victor Hugo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I used duct tape when troubleshooting high oil temp on a new engine install on a Super Cub and never got the vibration you talk about. Was good for testing the pressure differentil when trying to identify the problem. Lots of testing and pictures in this thread. I learned a lot. https://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...Place-Supercub
    I think you linked to the wrong post Steve.
    I think my vibrations might have been from a few different things, but when I cut the tape loose from the cowling the majority went away. Figuring out the right mag was having issues pretty much solved the rest of the vibration issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akflyer View Post
    I think you linked to the wrong post Steve.
    I think my vibrations might have been from a few different things, but when I cut the tape loose from the cowling the majority went away. Figuring out the right mag was having issues pretty much solved the rest of the vibration issue.
    Oops, thanks. Corrected now