Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Grease seal for Bodell wheel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grease seal for Bodell wheel

One of the grease seals on my Bodell wheel is damaged due to an improper replacement of a spacer by a previous mechanic. It seems that these seals are very hard to find -- I hope not impossible. I know this topic has come up in the past here, but I cannot find what source and part number people ultimately found. I did call Skybound (the folks who are the official parts dealers), but they are out of seals. Does anyone have ideas or advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Grease seal for Bodell wheel

I think my problem is solved and I want to share what I learned with other Bodell owners. My axles are 1 1/2 inches diameter. There is a metal disk of id 1 1/2 in. that fits against the bearing, and an outer metal seal (od 2 9/16) that squeezes into the wheel. An outer metal seal was damaged on my plane. We replaced it with an SKF 15176 (Grainger item # 40J952) grease seal, with the rubber removed. It seems to be a perfect fit.

Grainger has an excellent chart on their website showing dimensions and scale drawings of all the SKF seals, which is a great resource. The seals are also available from other places such as Motion Industries or Amazon Prime (with free overnight delivery!).

By the way, the bearings are Timken 13889 (cone part) and 13836 ( cup part), with id 1 1/2 and od 2 9/16.

And thanks to Steve and Gilbert Pierce for consultation and advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Grease seal for Bodell wheel

Execellent information , thanks for sharing it and glad you guys got it figured out.