Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ADSB In on Foreflight

Post Thanks / Like

Default ADSB In on Foreflight

So how am I able to see ADSB traffic targets on my Foreflight IPhone app sitting in my living room. Is this a new feature in Foreflight? Ive not seen this before without being connected to a Stratus or other ADSB In Rcvr.
    7F74CF06-6202-46FA-B4A0-883D8813B348.jpg79EDE9CA-6E42-415B-9DBA-9C1547346AA9.jpg720109C0-2148-4AD5-9AC2-CB6BE2C76893.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ADSB In on Foreflight

are you connected to the internet via wi fi?

Post Thanks / Like

ForeFlight has teamed up with FlightAware to provide real-time traffic via WiFi so you can see what to expect traffic wise before you take-off.
    https://flightaware.com/news/article...rt-Feature/188

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    ForeFlight has teamed up with FlightAware to provide real-time traffic via WiFi so you can see what to expect traffic wise before you take-off.
    Ok sounds like traffic has been on Foreflight for many years. I just noticed it last night for the first time, which is what seemed odd.

I have had Traffic enabled as a feature in the app going back about a year after installing the Sky Beacon and using a Stratus Rcvr, but it was unexpected to see traffic at home.

Listening to LAX Approach on the LiveATC app last night I could tell the targets are about 2 minutes behind real time, but still a neat way to see who's up flying in the area.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

FlightAware on ForeFlight on the ground via WiFi has only been available in the past month. Prior to that you could only get traffic on ForeFlight with an ADSB-In receiver such as the Status or Stratux and then only in range of the FAA ADSB 978. MHz ground stations and mostly only in flight unless the ground station was almost in your back yard or at your airport.
    With so many aircraft requiring ADSB and FlightAware saturating the country with ground receivers there is no privacy in our flying any more.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 06-19-2020 at 01:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay so it is new then. Not just another senior moment experience.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

With so many aircraft requiring ADSB and FlightAware saturating the country with ground receivers there is no privacy in our flying any more.
    There is for me, not equiped. Only draw back is I have to stay out of those highly populated airspaces.

Post Thanks / Like

Gilbert nailed this one. It’s a new feature. I originally thought it was dumb but I have begun to warm to it. When I am flight planning in ForeFlight, I can quickly see what’s going on out there: Are others flying, or has everyone else packed it in? How busy is the pattern at my airport? Are my friends up? Is there a fly-in somewhere worth checking out, or are the local flight schools working the pattern hard at some airport that they may appreciate me avoiding? Or, if I am just bored at home, it’s fun to see In real time how others fly: flight paths, altitudes, actual cruising speeds.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I thought of another use: as long as I am getting WiFi, I can see what’s going on in the pattern at my airport as a back up if, suppose, there is a NORDO I should be aware of, or to “see” where that traffic is that just called saying they are turning final (is this a bush pilot in a super cub in 45 degree bank 50’ from the threshold behind my wing, a student pilot setting up for a 3mile final at 70kts, or a TBM shooting an approach at 200kts). Just extra situational awareness since my ads-b often doesn’t get a signal on the ground.

lastly some tips: if you want to know where the data is coming from Adsb gives distance as a delta from you, FlightAware gives it to you as agl feet. And, if I read the foreflight explanation correctly, the data isn’t always updated so there is a timer showing how stale the data is but they keep moving the aircraft in the same direction and rate as last reported. I presume this may add some variability if the aircraft makes some changes after the last position update.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tnathan View Post
    Oh I thought of another use: as long as I am getting WiFi, I can see what’s going on in the pattern at my airport as a back up if, suppose, there is a NORDO I should be aware of, or to “see” where that traffic is that just called saying they are turning final (is this a bush pilot in a super cub in 45 degree bank 50’ from the threshold behind my wing, a student pilot setting up for a 3mile final at 70kts, or a TBM shooting an approach at 200kts). Just extra situational awareness since my ads-b often doesn’t get a signal on the ground.

lastly some tips: if you want to know where the data is coming from Adsb gives distance as a delta from you, FlightAware gives it to you as agl feet. And, if I read the foreflight explanation correctly, the data isn’t always updated so there is a timer showing how stale the data is but they keep moving the aircraft in the same direction and rate as last reported. I presume this may add some variability if the aircraft makes some changes after the last position update.
    No way is it going to give you any info on a NORDO aircraft. The only way it will show if it it is equipped with ADSB out, and maybe a transponder. I’d guess at least 1/3 of GA airplanes aren’t transponder equipped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk