Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: pop rivets

Post Thanks / Like

Default pop rivets

Hi all, love this site!
    I am re-covering my wings on my non-certified PA22 and am currently working on the flaps and ailerons. I drilled out the rivets and took the hinges off to check for corrosion and clean everything up and paint. Everything was in pretty good shape, so all is good! In regards to riveting back together, is it ever okay to use pop rivets in difficult places on the hinges and/or the brackets onto the false spars? Or are pop rivets very sub-standard?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: pop rivets

Big difference between pop rivets and cherry max rivets, or even avdel rivets. Use the proper fastener for the job. Items designed for solid rivets, that’s what should go back.

Given you said it is experimental, put what ever you want in there, just remember you are a test pilot each time you fly. Think about the safety of any passengers you may carry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I would not use pop rivets on the hinges. They are fine holding light sheet metal on surfaces.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The original rivets are soft and very easy to drive. If you have the doublers off between the ribs they are easy to rivet to the spar by positioning the rib 90 degrees to the spar.

Post Thanks / Like

OK thanks
    It's my first time using normal rivets and it's working better than I thought it would. I guess it helps that they're soft aluminum..