Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Belly pan to firewall fastener

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Belly pan to firewall fastener

Should be pretty simple. Run your fingernail along the edge, if you feel a seam then yer outa luck and need them. The tape usually doesnt wrap to attach to the inside, fold it back and take a gander.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread. Looking over my paperwork and the AD compliance list, it says "C/W See Logs". However, when I look thru the logs the latest mention of this AD (dated 1972) simply says "C/W AD 57-22-01" along with other AD's. However, it doesn't say how it was 'complied with so I'm assuming they just did the inspection and not the installation of the kit to do away with the inspection. No further mention of this AD in any future log entries going up into the 1980's. Who really knows if the kit was installed.

Doesn't seem to really matter as the aircraft was completely rebuilt in 1998 in a ground up restoration before we bought it. However, looking at the attached pictures, I don't see that they took this AD into consideration at the rebuild since it looks like a nice gap exists between my firewall and boot cowl. We've certainly not done any of the inspections at our annuals either.

20200701_115432.jpg20200701_115123.jpg

Just another example of accepting generic statements in the documentation stating "Previously Complied With" without detail and believing it's accurate. I have an 8 page "AD Compliance Report" that my mechanic keeps updated at every annual but it sounds like I need to go back over that to prove it's really accurate. In other words, fill in the blanks of how/why when it simply says, "PCW" Certainly worth a conversation with my mechanic as well.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I think that's pretty much the norm, from what I've seen.

Certainly, on my plane, there have been a NUMBER of things mentioned in the logbooks without proper/correct documentation or backup. For example: the voltage regulator that was installed on my bird just before I bought it -- worked fine with no problems, but my A&P pointed out that it lacked proper documentation. Looking through logbooks produced an STC number, but... that number apparently doesn't exist.... Looking at the mfr's data, the regulator I had was certified for almost any Cessna, but NOT any Pipers.... OK, another $300 and now we're good to go....

Honesty. Integrity. Accuracy. Plain & simple. Guess I was taught differently than a lot of folks.

That's why, just like the old ads on TV, "When Steve Pierce (or any number of other fantastic contributors to this forum) talks, people listen." (Remember that ad campaign?)

I'm almost at the point of resuming my lifelong dream of obtaining a PPL and FLYING! Folks on this forum have been amazingly helpful in that process, so THANKS again!

Walt N4557A

Post Thanks / Like

smcnutt...First thing that goes thru the mind of an A&P after gazing at that beautiful well put together firewall is "complied/passed...move on. Shame, all that nice work and no wrap, damn it. That's ok, not a hard thing to add on.

Post Thanks / Like

Trust but verify! For every airplane I do an annual on that I haven’t done before, I look at everything. Customers may not want to pay my time, they are welcome to go elsewhere! If owners would become more educated about their aircraft and actually followed 91.417 (yes, it is the owners responsibility to maintain the proper records) it would make the life of their mechanics easier, and reduce their maintenance costs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I know, I was just playing in words while complimenting the nice firewall. Women are doing the same thing to men every day gettin themselves all prettied up making it so yer not looking at ...well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The A&P needs to read each AD and verify they have been complied with and document that and the next time they are due. I hate PCW (previously complied with). I find where it was previously complied with which usually leads to something like Sandy found. Did a pre-buy/annual on an early 172 for a friend years ago and found the AD on the nose gear fork had been PCW for 40 plus years. When I went to verify I found out it had never been complied with and had to replace it.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually going through the motions, knowing the contents of the AD and that it pertains to the AC your working on, then signing it off as work preformed...dah? I am curious, has anybody here ever been witness to a mechanic that has been criminally charged with this sort of thing? This is quite the opposite of not fully reading the AD and preforming work that does not pertain your AC.

Post Thanks / Like

The worst part is that this same mechanic was completely involved in the rebuild. He really is a good, knowledgeable old school mechanic but obviously missed some things here. I also know that the ground-up rebuild (including TW conversion) spanned 10 years and had a few people involved (one who died near the end) and the paperwork was a mess. We had quite a time getting it all signed off by the FAA after we bought it as a 90% complete (with 90% to go) project. I'm sure it's near impossible to catch everything in a huge project like that so I certainly can understand. Similar to finding things during an annual that you should have spotted at previous annuals like bad safety wire jobs, etc.

Like you said, it's the owners responsibility to maintain the proper records so I guess I will run thru it and clarify things as best I can. I have a nice AD Compliance Report and I think my first step is to check out each one and be a bit more specific as to how/where/when they were complied with. That will include printing out those AD's to read the text of them, etc.

By the way, thanks for the compliment on the firewall. It is kind of sexy.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got back down to check it out... and no, I don't have those u-channel strips around the firewall. OK, so we'll do the inspection thing. Not really sure I want any more gold-plated Univair parts...

Nice that we have endoscopes these days - makes it easier, for sure!