Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Belly pan to firewall fastener

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Belly pan to firewall fastener

Great photo, thanks!! (Now I know where that screw went....)

I can see where that panel would be good to pull off for inspection beneath. (Why wasn't it made more removable from the get-go?) Lord knows some of my aileron pulleys in the wings were pretty nasty-looking once I got them exposed -- that one looks like a good candidate for inspection, too.

DSC06434.jpg DSC06435.jpg

And ah, yes! The infamous "rear cabin heat" duct!

I will put removing that panel, inspection, and and replacing rivets with nut plates on the top of my "to do" list; thanks again for the pic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Kroeker View Post
    You need to remove it to comply with AD 57-22-01 https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...6?OpenDocument
    which is also covered under Piper SB161A https://www.univair.com/content/PIP_SB0161A.pdf
    I like to resolve the AD's rather than keep coming back to them every year. I never had the need to look at this one because my serial # is a bit higher than those required to conform. BUT! I did have to have it dropped from digging into my pocket book because my AI wasnt reading into those SB's deep enough....only far enough to add it to the bill.
    If your plane's serial # falls into this AD and needs the parts to get er fixed up you missed out on getting them all for $5.00 from Piper back in the day but can purchase them, or just make them, from Univair. They are P/N U14972-000 left moulding, P/N U19972-001 right moulding, P/N U14973-000 upper moulding. While re-assembling my Tri-pacer after recovering I wasnt finding my lower right piece so ended up just fabricating another....I'll find it one day, always do.

Post Thanks / Like

Juergen -- Is that goop all over your belly panel paint remover, or is that the stuff that was there already?

MrBill, yes, I've done the same - replaced OEM struts with sealed ones, replaced OEM fuel selector with Dakota Cub version -- just to eliminate those pesky ADs. Guess I'll need to look in the "belly of the beast"!

Post Thanks / Like

That is paint stripper. Usually takes about two to three coats with scraping with a plastic spatula in between to get the paint off. Then a little sanding with 150 grit paper to get the really stubborn stuff off. Then ready for paint.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

OK, spent some time with my logbooks... Found it. AD 57-22-01 taken care of 1/4/1958, along with a couple others. Mine's a later SN -- 3868-- so I guess the problematic fiberglass (?) stuff wasn't used on mine. It also appears on subsequent AD checklists that I have.

Guess that's one thing I'm grateful for -- 57A did come with a pretty good bunch of paperwork, including all logbooks going back to its "birth." Don't know how others with missing documentation handle it!

logbook, p.2.jpg
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 06-30-2020 at 03:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You might read the AD and see if your serial number is included. The only way out of doing the inspection annually is having the u channel installed over the firewall lip. There is a thread on the subject posted here.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Steve. As I read them (both the SB and the AD), all SNs are included... at least up to #6194 (how many of these planes did Piper make??), but there's a break for SNs up to 2699. Earlier ones required dismantling, later ones (2700-6194) the inspection. Mine is SN 3868.

My logbooks aren't clear as to precisely what was done to satisfy the AD, so how can I tell if that u-channel was installed -- anybody got a pic?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    Thanks, Steve. As I read them (both the SB and the AD), all SNs are included... at least up to #6194 (how many of these planes did Piper make??), but there's a break for SNs up to 2699. Earlier ones required dismantling, later ones (2700-6194) the inspection. Mine is SN 3868.

My logbooks aren't clear as to precisely what was done to satisfy the AD, so how can I tell if that u-channel was installed -- anybody got a pic?
    Walt,
    If you go to univair with those part #'s I gave ya I think they have a drawing showing the 4 corner pieces. Then you can look to see if yours are there. They want way too much $$. I made the one that came up missing (temporarily) out of a piece of tile edging from home depot for under $4.00 and it turned out better than the original. Satisfied the AD with Better than equivalent. If you aint got em and wanna try I will tell you more.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Still not sure if I have them, but will look closely next time I'm down there. But yes, I did see the Univair stuff: as usual, must be gold-plated! If you like, contact me via my email, stubby57a@gmail.com. I'd really like to see what yours looks like.

Post Thanks / Like

Figure I'd answer you here so people know that I couldn't show you what they look like. I cannot believe that out of all my pics I did not take a pic of that. I could take off my cowling to take a pic so you could see what they look like but then you could do the same also. I have the new cowl tape covering the top pieces, sorry.