Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 57A progress update

Post Thanks / Like

Default 57A progress update

Finally, after all this time and all this work, I finished up with the plugs & plug wires today. Ended up changing three plugs (Thanks, Yorke!) because their electrodes were quite obviously "footballed" in shape.

Put all tools away, closed up the cowl, dragged it outside in front of the hangar --tail pointed away from hangar door-- opened the fuel valve to BOTH, pulled the primer pump out slowly (could feel fuel entering), pushed it in just once, flipped master, set mags to BOTH, pushed throttle in about 1/4", mixture full rich, and pushed the starter button.

Engine started somewhere between 1-1/2 and 2 revs, immediately firing & running smoothly on all four cylinders!! Have to admit it surprised me at how quickly (and well) it started, but this O-320 always has been a good starter, right Blake?

Oil pressure came up very fast into the green; ran it only about 10 minutes (this time) -- CHT hit 100+F, probably slow on the uptake. Taxied around one full circle, experimented with mixture, throttle (still need a bit of work on the brakes, GRRR>) mags, etc... all look good. Engine promptly shut down after pulling mixture to idle cut-off.

Only problem was the smell, with all those new exhaust parts and greasy hands on the manifolds! .... but that should clear up soon enough.

So -- after 6+ years of sitting, 57A is alive again, and so far seems to be quite healthy!

Now waiting for A&P to find time to do all last-minute checks for final approval.... and then we need to make quite a few new entries in the log books!

Now.. who's going to believe me?? I was the only one at 2B3 today! (Pic is from yesterday)

Walt (Pilot-Wannabe)

DSC08760.jpg

PS-- Again, thanks to ALL who helped in this endeavor, educating me along the way. This forum is an amazing resource!

Not quite in the air yet, but it shouldn't be long now!
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 06-28-2020 at 01:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 57A progress update

How cool is that! I'm excited for you!
    And yes I agree, this forum is such a HUGE help. I'm happy to donate to its cause.
    Jan

Sent from my SM-G892A using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Question, both mags on to start? Most TriPacers only have an impulse coupling on the left and are supposed to be started on the left mag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I always have the key on both. Never even thought about it.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Think I read it somewhere.. in the distant past... but yeah, I've always set the mags on BOTH for starting -- not that I have the much experience at it!

If somebody has some explanation for otherwise, I'm all ears and still learning!

Post Thanks / Like

If you try starting on both, the right mag will be firing at 25 degrees befor TDC. The left mag will be firing at TDC (thatís part of what the impulse coupling does). If the right mag lights the fuel charge and the engine is turning slow, peak pressure will be reached before TDC and try and spin the engine backwards while your starter is trying to spin it the correct direction.

The other thing the impulse coupling does is wind a spring so when the engine gets to TDC, the spring unwinds and spins the mag faster. The magneto power output is a function of how fast the magnetic flux field cuts through the primary windings of the coil, so spinning faster provides a hotter spark right at TDC so peak pressure in the cylinder occurs after TDC, spinning the engine in the correct direction.

Once the engine reaches about 500 rpm, centripetal force on flyweights locks the impulse coupling out of the picture and timing goes back to the 25 degrees BTC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Walt, your so-so close, you must be vibrating with excitement. Just so you know we'll need a video of it's maiden voyage!
    Forrest Miller

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Yes, I'm really excited... so much so that while on the way home I had to turn around and go back to the field to turn the fuel sector back to the OFF position... OOPS. Need to get those checklists out!

As far as starting -- I found my reference, on page 21 of the 65-year-old POH (such as it is) for my PA-22. Starting on left mag is recommended for a cold engine but not a warm one. dga, I was aware of the auto-retard on the left mag but didn't feel it was necessary yesterday. Any thoughts?

Another bright note: my little red Hawker/Odyssey battery & Bogert battery box mods (& new cables) all performed flawlessly!

POH Starting Procedure.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congrats Walt, can't wait to see pictures in the air.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    If you try starting on both, the right mag will be firing at 25 degrees befor TDC. The left mag will be firing at TDC (thatís part of what the impulse coupling does). If the right mag lights the fuel charge and the engine is turning slow, peak pressure will be reached before TDC and try and spin the engine backwards while your starter is trying to spin it the correct direction.

The other thing the impulse coupling does is wind a spring so when the engine gets to TDC, the spring unwinds and spins the mag faster. The magneto power output is a function of how fast the magnetic flux field cuts through the primary windings of the coil, so spinning faster provides a hotter spark right at TDC so peak pressure in the cylinder occurs after TDC, spinning the engine in the correct direction.

Once the engine reaches about 500 rpm, centripetal force on flyweights locks the impulse coupling out of the picture and timing goes back to the 25 degrees BTC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    On ours I think they fixed that concern (right mag/engine fire backwards) was to install an impulse coupler on both mags. It was that way before we bought it. We've always started on Both.

Walt, congrats on a fine looking bird!
    ďCommon sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.Ē
    ― Victor Hugo