Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piper Rudder Drawings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Piper Rudder Drawings

So, after cringing and exact-o knifing the rudder fabric, I've got a bit of unacceptable pitting towards the bottom of the rudder post, horn attach area. Looking at dwg 40622, it appears that the post is p/n 40622-3 and the sleeve is 40601? I can't find the tube specs for 40622-3 anywhere nor can I find 40601 in the dwgs or the missing drawings list. Does this just become a cut it apart and caliper it, then remove and replace with same as original plus a 337 for the post splice? I figure I'll eventually get good at this the hard way.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Piper Rudder Drawings

40622 is on the Vagabond CD. 7/8x.035 for -3. 40601 rudder post reinforciment is also on the Vagabond CD. It 1x.035.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I very much appreciate the info. Even if I look in the -15 or -17 drawings, I only get the drawings with an "X" suffix. Notes block states that these drawings have the materials and revision change blocks removed. Has the SWPC dumbed down their latest drawings offering or is there another place I need to be looking? I'm seeing several X suffixes as I look through the list, and this could get quite annoying for you kind folks if I don't have a way to look it up on my own. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is a seperate Vagabond Drawing CD that has a lot more drawings of little parts and almost everything to do with the Vag.

I just did a 337 the other day for a Pacer landing gear repair. Referenced the appropriate section, paragraph and figures from AC 43.13-1B.

Post Thanks / Like

As Steve indicated, there is a separate Vagabond CD that has a lot more drawings on it. Both drawings are also on the SuperCub drawing web site.

Splice and welding done per AC43.13-1b chapter 4 provides all the approved data for your 337..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

On the subject, how would you all handle this rudder? The form is flawless, no bends anywhere, however two ribs are rusted, and there is significant rust at the bottom of the tube. My initial thought was to reinforce with a 3/4 x 10 tube, and patch/replace the ribs, but now Im considering replacing the whole unit. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A lot of work and you don't know how far up the rudder the rust goes. You could splice the rudder post, do a tube in a tube splice further up so it doesn't interfere with the aluminum steering arm, weld on new hinge bushings and make and replace the rusted ribs. Might be easier to buy a new or serviceable rudder. Time or money.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have a source for .020 sheet steel for ribs ? I have not found any anywhere so far..... Clyde Smith maybe ?
    Univair ?

Post Thanks / Like

There is a guy named Kurt Grasso on Facebook in NJ that is parting out a couple planes, might try him on a whole new unit?

-Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Kurt has lots of parts--- including several rudders--- only drawback is whatever shipping might be for such a large package.
    He is a nice gentleman too boot. I decided to repair mine---
    Univair has the trailing ribs--- but the lower part of your post might the most trouble to fix.
    T