Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailering a Colt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailering a Colt

Hi,

I bought a 1961 Colt, and I am looking for a drawing with dimensions to show me the size of trailer required to bring it home with the wings off. Tail height, gear width "OD", individual wing length/ width/ depth and overall fuselage length are the numbers I am looking for. Length not being that important, as it should be somewhere near 20 ft....if need I can take the spinner and prop off and gain a bit more space.

Any help on this is appreciated.

Thanks you

Kip
    Last edited by Rankin; 07-13-2020 at 08:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trailering a Colt

8 ft wide, 12 foot long, you will need to pull the elevators or you will be overwidth. You can build the wing racks so they sit on the sides of the fuselage. They will need to be removable and put in place after you load the fuselage. Be sure to put a strap between the main gears so they don't spread out!!!!! Spinner and prop are no problem. I've got a trailer custom built for SWP's tricycle gear. Have to use my 20 foot for taildraggers.
    Last edited by at7615; 07-14-2020 at 12:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you are looking for answers to put it in an enclosed trailer and not an open one. Elevator will probably have to come off and unless its a "tall" trailer your rudder will likely hit as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by at7615 View Post
    8 ft wide, 12 foot long, you will need to pull the elevators or you will be overwidth. You can build the wing racks so they sit on the sides of the fuselage. They will need to be removable and put in place after you load the fuselage. Be sure to put a strap between the main gears so they don't spread out!!!!! Spinner and prop are no problem. I've got a trailer custom built for SWP's tricycle gear. Have to use my 20" for taildraggers.
    8 ft wide......wheel outside dimension 96 inches
    12 ft long......wing dimension

thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akflyer View Post
    Sounds like you are looking for answers to put it in an enclosed trailer and not an open one. Elevator will probably have to come off and unless its a "tall" trailer your rudder will likely hit as well.
    I have a couple of options, and as such try to ask for all pertinent information. I brought my PA-22/20-160 home in an enclosed trailer, but feel that the tail height, and stance could be different on the PA-22-108. If I could just see an actual drawing for dimension and areas, I wouldn’t have to ask any questions. But alas, in 1961, Piper was not too concerned as to how my new Colt would fit in/ or on a trailer without wings attached.

Thank for your input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Several threads on trailing a Short Wing project. I found this one by Googleing "Trailering site:shortwingpipers.org"

https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...r-Width-Needed

Post Thanks / Like

It can be done! My old 12 valve didn't even feel it! Keep in mind you can suck the mains up a bit with a strap when hauling, keeps em from spreading when you hit bumps. My biggest fear hauling aircraft (and its been a few) is tires blowing out and the alligator damaging the plane! That's a bad day!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by at7615; 07-13-2020 at 06:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

ThIs is very helpful.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Any idea how far you can actually pull the mains together?

What is the height to the bottom longeron behind the mains? I do not have a flat deck capable of hauling wings as you have, done.

Love the picture, can’t wait......to go get mine.

Thanks again for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

So build wing racks that bolt on the trailer, simplest solution, or make a wing rack and make 2 trips.